Monday, April 19, 2010

How I flashed a guy...

One story from the vault:

On the way home from Arizona, we stopped in Flagstaff to get gas, a Redbox movie and to use the potty. At this particular Maverik, the potties were the Portable type, which my girls found very interesting. I had to repeat several times just why they didn't have to flush it. Allie finished doing her business and I squatted for my turn (no way was I going to let my bare behind touch that lovely seat). And, as expected, Allie started to unlock the door to let herself out. Why is it that my children have a hard time waiting the 15.6 seconds it takes me to finish and are always prematurely exiting the bathroom stall? I will never know. But it is the case. Half-heartedly, I told her to stop, knowing full well she wasn't going to listen, but also knowing I was just about finished anyway and wasn't planning to linger. No sooner had she shut the door behind her, when I stood up to pull my pants back up. And that's when the door opened. And a man started to enter our port-a-potty. While I stood there, complete with full frontal nudity, trying to pull my pants up. He apologized and quickly left, but really, it wasn't his fault. It wasn't even Allie's. It was mine. You can bet I will think twice (or even three times) before I ever use the port-a-potty with any of my children. An empty water bottle in the back of a rental car would be better, if it meant I kept my dignity.

After leaving Maverik, a bit shaken, we got back on the road and I arranged my breast pump so that I could get a bottle ready for Carter. Jeff told me to get myself together quickly, as we were about to pass a car on the road, and I needed to cover up. Heaven forbid I expose myself again to another unsuspecting person.

This picture is from later on the trip, outside Page. We took a short hike to this viewpoint of Horseshoe Bend. And to get this shot we literally backed up without looking as Jeff arranged us. I don't think I would have liked knowing just how close we all were to the edge (not THAT close, but still).

Can anyone figure out how we got this picture? The answer is in the photo. 10 points to the first person who figures it out.

More to come later. Our desktop is currently being wiped clean of all viruses (apparently a lot) and we should have it back tomorrow. And I'll write more about my nursing dilemma.

9 comments:

Lana said...

Kids always want to expose you to the strangers of the world. ALways. WHY? Dane loves to open the changing room door when I'm in the most embarrassing positions.

And I believe the rental car is where the camera is resting...? Is that right? It's a great shot, btw.

Heather said...

I'm gonna go with the remote in your left hand. Great work on that shot!

Funny story too, thanks for sharing.

Heather B said...

I see the remote! Very tricky! Sorry about the flashing incident. Yikes! Not fun. Beautiful picture though, wow! Hurry with the nursing dilemma...what's up?

Michelle said...

What a story! I thought that when you were needing to cover up in the car while passing another one it was going to be the same guy driving the other car!! That would be really funny.

Rachel said...

What a beautiful backdrop! I've pumped in the car too before and hoped while passing cars that nothing became exposed. It sure saves time while traveling doesn't it? With my first we'd pull over for 20 minutes each time she needed to nurse!

Greg and Tammy said...

Come on Krystal. I know you liked it. :)

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

I love that picture of your family. that's one worth framing!

Anonymous said...

Ok, how did I get so behind on your blog?? #1: I have always had nursing problems with my kids, and actually when I pumped this last time it seemed like I wasn't getting as much as usual. All my kids ended up having milk allergies/sensitivities at some point, so they all ended up on special formula anyway. Don't stress--Carter will be fine either way. I've decided after all the comments, two-sense and even questioning looks from nurses in the hospital, I'm gonna do what works for me, and all 3 of my kids have been fine no matter what route we took.
#2: A huge pet-peeve of mine is when my kids try to make a premature exit from the stall. I'm usually yelling at them if they try to even touch the door, so I guess that helps evade any intruders. Points to you for being the nice mommy. :)

Becky Seymour said...

That is the ultimate family picture. You are all so happy! Really, how do you do it?
Love you!!