From this...
...to this.
Carter at four months is a completely different baby. Not only does he look completely different (growing into those chubby rolls and all), but he acts completely different. If he had been out of my sight for any extended period of time, I would fear that he had been switched for someone else's baby and would demand him back. Actually, strike that. I would not actually want to trade back. I would never knowingly go back to the way things were. But I would write a long, consoling letter to the unsuspecting parents who were now forced to raise him. And apologize for their sleep deprivation.
That's how much he has changed in the past two months or so. The child who used to not sleep at all has now become a champion sleeper. He wakes up once at night (I really wish we could cut the 4 am feeding out, but it's not too bad), and takes many naps during the day (every 1.5-2 hours after he wakes up). Including one afternoon nap that is usually about 3 hours. In his bed. He has, effectively, gone from my worst sleeper to my best. And I couldn't be happier about it.
He also has started trying to reach out and touch toys, and bringing them to his mouth. This is a cognitive milestone I was hoping he would be able to reach. I love the awkwardness of his little hands as he bats at the offending toys I place in his way. I love the way he tries to maneuver objects toward his mouth, using both hands if possible. And I love how he just can't seem to figure it out. It just makes it all the more endearing.
To be honest, Carter cares a lot more about the people in the room than the toys. He will give any toy a quick glance, and usually will try to improve his skills by grabbing it, but he gets bored easily. He would much rather stare at one of the girls until they talk to him in their "baby voices," and tell him how cute he is. And quite frankly, who could blame him? I would stare too, if it meant I got complimented all day long.
Health wise, Carter has been mostly fine. He has had a few small colds, but nothing too serious. Right now, he is a little croupy, which doesn't sound very good, but so far, he doesn't seem too affected by it. In fact, he slept from 9:30 last night to 7:00 this morning. That was nice. I have a humidifier going 24/7 in his room and I gave him a breathing treatment this morning. I am hoping he will start feeling better soon and not have any serious problems!
Here is a little video (for the family, or the highly bored) of Carter and his new abilities. Mostly I like how he likes me.
3 comments:
Oh my! I really did gasp out loud when I saw how big he has gotten in just four months! Wyatt barely grew out of those size 3 diapers and he is 18 months! Glad he is sleeping better. I bet you feel like a new woman.
Love a good sleeping baby. And I love the video! So sweet when they give you a little chuckle--like "YOU'REMYFAVORITEILOVEYOU!!!" :)
That's awesome he has become such a great sleeper! It makes for a much happier mommy! And, a happy mommy generally means a happy baby (and I guess vice versa too)!
Post a Comment