Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Eat, Drink and be Merry

Carter has the life. He basically gets whatever he wants. He is a fairly high maintenance child who is only happy when he is getting his way. And for some reason, we are all too happy to give him what he wants. It makes life easier for the rest of us. He is most content if he is riding around on my shoulders. Maybe it gives him a better view of the world, I don't know. But I do know that he will be happy for a MUCH longer time if I am carrying him than any other way.

As a result, though, I have aching shoulder muscles. But I tell myself that the best way to get the last few pounds off is to haul an extra 19 pounds around. That should do the job. I'm hoping...

I did decide it was time for him to have some rice cereal. At five months, I think it was time.

He is great at opening his mouth whenever he sees the spoon coming, probably because he likes to suck/gnaw on anything that comes near his mouth, but not so great at swallowing. But we're working on it.

I was hopeful that the rice would help him get full enough to sleep all the way through the night. But I haven't seen a difference yet. He still wakes up once during the night to eat, and usually once or twice more when I have to give him the binky. But that is all about to change. Little Mr. Rule-the-House is about to be overthrown. Up until now, I have been making excuses for him; he was a sick little guy after all. But the tiny baby who had compromised lungs is gone. And this Chubby Bubby doesn't need to be eating during the night.

For some reason, feeding has always been such a chore with Carter. He is hungry, but he nearly always cries, gags, and puts up a fight when I feed him. The only peaceful feeding he has is during the night. Which is another reason I have been easy on him. No more. My plan is to cut back how much he gets during the night (start at 4 ounces, go to 3, than 2 than 1 than nothing) during the next few nights. I also think I am going to let him cry more to get himself back to sleep. He doesn't seem to have a problem crying himself to sleep during the day, so I know he is capable. It's time to break the bad habits. And I don't think Carter is going to like it one little bit. But the three older kids were all sleeping through the night consistently by 3 months. And if you factor in the fact that he was 2 weeks early and spent 2 weeks in the hospital, he has still caught up. No more excuses. Wish me luck!

If my plans fail, maybe I'll let him sleep in the swing with a bunch of toys. Seemed to work this day!

And this picture makes me smile. It's from my phone, and not the best quality, but Kyla and Carter were "helping" me do laundry yesterday.

6 comments:

Heather B said...

GOOD LUCK!! My favorite "sleep through the night" book recommends just that- cutting down a little each night, so they'll automatically start to eat a little more during the day (if needed- if he's already getting 24 oz in the day, you're right, he doesn't need any at night!) But anyway, the other thing they recommend is go wake up the baby an hour earlier than he would wake up on his own, feed him, put him right back down (still drowsy) and let him fall back asleep. Then if he wakes up an hour or two later, you know it's not hunger. That's how I finally got Kalia sleeping through the night and it worked fast, in a few days, she figured out how to get herself back to sleep on her own, and she stopped eating at night. Hope it goes well for you. Love that last pic!

BBC said...

best of luck!!!! hopefully he makes it through the night quickly!

Greg and Tammy said...

Good luck. That's a hard step for sure. Ironically, it was harder for Greg than me... he really hated to hear her cry, but I was too d*** tired to have a heart. Oh, and he is nicer than me. :) Guess one parent has to be. Anyway, hope Carter adjusts quickly and starts giving you a consistent amount of sleep soon.

Becky Seymour said...

I can't believe you have any weight to lose, still. STOP! You look tooo good! For real. LOVE YA! Okay. I use Photoshop CS2 but ELEMENTS will do you perfectly as well. Anytime you want, we can go in my digital classroom and we can application share and scrap together. When you come down next, or I come up, I should bring you all my files and you can have OODLES of scrap pngs. You will need an external hard drive...... Love your guts. Love your family. And... your kids are amazing sleepers. 3 months...wow.

Karen E said...

Seeing these pictures makes me miss my kiddos, I love that chubba bubba!! My favorite picture is him in the swing with the toys, my bet is that Kyla brought them to him! Love all of you, and hey, maybe for your 10th anniversary (coming soon), you could get a nice massage on your shoulders, just finished mine..........I am so lucky to have a WEEKLY one...tee hee. Oh BTW, Eric was a big chubba wubba too and I had to carry him around because he cried ALL THE TIME, until my shoulders and back gave out!! :)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Good luck! I'm already sick of the night feedings. Nathan was sleeping through the night at 2 months... so this going over 2 months crap is killing me. haha :) I'm thinking maybe I'll try your cutting back method. Like I said.. N just slept through the night on his own and so I hadn't even thought about how I was going to get Jeff to do it. Thanks! Let us know how things go with C!