Friday, January 28, 2011

Competition






I probably should preface this post with a true statement about myself: I am a competitive person. And now that you know that, I shall proceed.

As a Cub Scout, Damon had his first opportunity to participate in the Pinewood Derby. Which, of course, meant that he chose a design for his car and Jeff did almost all the work on it. Handling a hacksaw, drill, file and spray paint are not exactly something our 8 year old is capable by himself. Plus, I think Jeff was reliving his "glory days," remembering building cars with his dad when he was a Cub Scout.

The finished product was a sweet looking little red and yellow car, weighing in just under the limit of 5 ounces. Both Damon and Jeff were quite proud of it.

We showed up at the church ready to race. Jeff was disappointed by the track, which was not up to his standards, and didn't even have an electronic timer on it. He kept telling me how pinewood derby was the biggest event of his year as a Cub Scout and he was hoping it would be similar for Damon.

(Sidenote: The Activity Days girls had also been invited to participate, which I think is really cool. I would have loved to build a car when I was growing up.)

The racing started and consisted of several different heats. Two "judges" sat at the finish line to declare which car won each race. Although it became clear from the start that it didn't matter which car won. Everyone was going to be a "winner."

At 7:00, the racing was declared over and the awards were given out. Every kid got an award. I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I think everyone who built a car deserved one. Two awards were given out for sportsmanship, which I think was a great idea. But not one single mention was given to who actually had the fastest car. Heaven forbid we mention the obvious--that some cars actually raced down the track faster than others.

And that's what I have a problem with. I'm all about sportsmanship and focusing on the kids having a good time. But I also don't think there is anything wrong with a little competition. Would it have been so bad to have awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place (one category for the boys and one category for the girls)? As much as we want to pretend otherwise, real life is FULL of competition. And while we don't need to ONLY celebrate the victories, there are many, many lessons that can be learned from losing. Determination, hard work, dealing with disappointment...those are things we all need to learn at some point. Why not in a setting that is perfectly set up for it--a car race?

I'm not just saying this because Damon's car was super fast and won every heat it was in. If his car had been the slowest, I still would have rather some awards been given based on performance. It would have provided a little bit of incentive to build a better, faster car next year and maybe encourage a little character development as the kids deal with both losing and winning (it's also important to learn to be a gracious winner. Something Damon needs to work on).
(What is Kyla doing this picture? A backbend out Jeff's arms?)

Overall, it was a fun night. I know that a lot of hard work went into making it enjoyable for everyone, and I don't want to diminish my appreciation of them at all. I just wish we (as a society) didn't feel the need to take competition out of everything. Maybe you feel differently. But I'm a competitive person. Which means I always want to win.


8 comments:

Heather said...

What?? No ribbon, no announcement, no nada?

I'm with you. Wish they would've done at least some recognition for the best one.

But I'm a tad competitive too . . .

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Looks like Damon had a blast and I guess that was all that mattered, right?!?

BUT, I was in Cub Scouts for almost the last three years and our ward had a VERY different approach. We for sure had winners. A 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for each of the different Dens (Webelo, Bears, Wolves) then an overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd and then also we also had a Sportsmanship Award. Those people got actual trophies. Then we created a little more light hearted, fun awards and made sure each kid got one. Most colorful, Most Sporty, etc and they got more gag gifts or candy bars with theirs.

Our track electronic, so it made it really easy to know times and who won what places, etc.

THEN we also had an "Outlaw" division that ANYONE in the ward could compete in. There were no rules to these cars either. We literally had someone build a 3 foot car one time by cutting the block in half and connecting the two sides with rods. It was hilarious! It was a pretty big deal each year for everyone in the ward too! Good times for sure!

Heather B said...

Agreed. They shouldn't have taken all the competition out of it. That's definitely not real life. That's AWESOME that Damon's car was so fast! And that they invited the girls.

TEAM ALOFIPO said...

love how damon was excited he won but wanted to be humble to and said I won but kind of quietly!! Thats a cool car!

april said...

I'm with you Krystal. Damon's car sure looks sweet and Damon sure looks happy! I still have my pinewood derby car that my Dad helped me make one year when my older brother was in Scouts. And I still love it! Isaac's group did the Space Derby this year. Cool, but definitely not as cool as the pinewood! They did have winners here, along with certificates for everyone. And no one seemed to have a problem with that!

Christina Mangelson said...

I was Cub Master and we did the same thing as Pam's ward; Fault lies with the leader. I would have a chat with him/her and discuss that he is not doing the children any favors. Life is constantly competitive and tip-toeing around this fact will only harm the children, not help them.

The parents that have an issue with this shouldn't let their children participate in competitive activities, plain and simple.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. We can't live in a society where those that work super hard get the same recognition as those that don't work at all...oh, wait.... ;)
I think it's great for kids to learn disappointment and that competition helps us learn to work harder.

The Calico Crew said...

could his eyes have gotten much bigger when he realized his car won?! That was cute!