Saturday, May 28, 2011

Four years old

Kyla turned 4 on May 24th. And I just couldn't do another birthday party, although she had talked about nothing else since Allie's birthday in April. So we compromised. I told her she could invite 4 friends and we would take them to Kangaroo Zoo (a place with all the bounce houses) and then come back home for dessert and presents. She agreed.

We went the day before her birthday, because the kids get out of school earlier and Jeff was going to be home. I wish I could have bottled up the excitement oozing out of the kids as they ran into Kangaroo Zoo. I would sell it to thrill seekers and make a fortune. It was the perfect place for her "party," as it wasn't real crowded, I wasn't worried about anyone getting lost, and I didn't have to provide any of the entertainment.

This is Kyla and one of our neighbor girls, Olivia, posing on a bounce house.

Carter wasn't so sure about the whole thing. He kept trying to get out the door and take off. Who knows why. Eventually, though, he found something he loved more than anything--a step stool. He carried it around, occasionally putting it down to make sure he could still climb on it.

You can see him eyeing Allie suspiciously as she nibbles on a corner of the bounce house. Jeff took him on a few of the big slides and he cried in terror. Oh well. His favorite bounce house was, ironically, the scariest of them all. It was designed to look like the mouth of a giant toothed animal (I can't remember if it was a dinosaur or a dragon...), and was dark and creepy. He kept taking his step stool over to it and trying to get in. Strange little man.

Allie and Damon were lucky enough to tag along for the party and had just as much fun as the little kids.



After the kids had had their fill of fun, we went back home and opened presents, had some mini corn dogs and cupcakes and ice cream. Kyla, truthfully, doesn't like cake all that much, so I convinced her she didn't need a cake that she wasn't going to eat anyway. I was really feeling stressed about daily life and fortunately for me, she was more than willing to go along with my simplified birthday ideas.

She is holding her precious Barbie from Grandma (complete with hair extensions that you can "cut" off) and a cupcake. I think she may have licked the frosting off. Maybe.

Overall, it was really low key and everyone seemed just fine with it. Although, the next day Kyla asked when we were going to do her party and play games. Hmmm...maybe I didn't do a good enough job explaining what her party entailed...

On her actual birthday, I took her Sonic for her free wacky pack and to Coldstone for her free ice cream (LOVE birthday clubs online). This is a pic from my phone so it's not the best quality, but she was sure happy with her cotton candy/white chocolate chip concoction. I was more than happy with my sweet cream/Oreo treat myself.

This is a pic of Kyla with her two friends on our street. Kyla is the oldest, born on May 24. Gwen turns 4 on June 4 and Olivia is 4 May 31. So fun to have them so close in age.

Finally, here are four things I love about my four-year-old:
1. She is very affectionate. She is always expressing love for everyone. When Allie leaves for school, she says, "Bye Allie, I love you," even if Allie doesn't respond.
2. She loves to pray. Her prayers usually include something about Satan ("please bless that I won't drown and that Satan will instead,") and always include asking for blessings that she won't have any bad dreams. Fear has set in with her at night time.
3. She thinks everything is "cute." And she always wants to be cute. I think she is.
4. She is very agreeable, and when she's in a good mood (not always, but often), she is very helpful and does more than her share of the work. Allie loves this, too.

Happy birthday KyKy!


1 comment:

Heather B said...

Looks like fun! Carter and his step stool...that's way too cute. Love coldstone...mmmm. yummy. Glad you could have a low key party. Wish I wouldn't have forgotten her bday and that we had called to sing on FaceTime. Boo me.