When McKay was born just a short 13.5 months after Carter, everyone said, "they are going to be the best of friends." It was just about the only positive thing to hold on to when I was drowning trying to take care of my two babies.
Now, almost 18 months later, we are starting to see the "best friends" thing emerge with these two. I was looking at all the pictures I have on my phone to prove it, and couldn't help but feel that they are very lucky to have each other. I just hope they stay close during the rough teenage years.
Here are some of the things these "best friends" like to do together...
Eat watermelon on the deck
Share a double tube at Seven Peaks
Wash each other's hair fully clothed (Carter washed McKay's)
Keep me company at Costco, and try the green smoothies. Got Smoothie? That can be Blendtec's new campaign slogan. And these two can model the green 'staches.
Jump on the mattresses Grandpa Dale had set up for him on the deck
Get in LOTS of trouble together. This was an entire tube of kids' toothpaste on McKay's head (and counter, floor, and mirror). Carter's handiwork. McKay ended up in the tub, and Carter ended up in timeout.
Here's another time, with Desitin in their hair. Carter, again, is to blame.
If you're sensing a pattern, that Carter has become a little mischievous and independent, you would be right. Last week, besides the toothpaste incident and the Desitin incident, he also left the faucet running in the laundry room, flooding the counters and soaking down every drawer. I had to clean everything out and throw a ton of stuff away (which I probably needed to do anyway, but I wasn't planning on it that day!). Really, that kid needs to be tied down. He is always seconds away from disaster.
BUT, his independence has also been a very good thing. He has been "practicing" going on the potty for quite a while now, just whenever he felt like it. Occasionally, he would have success, and we would celebrate, but mostly he just sat there and said, "maybe next time."
Well, this week he decided it was time. He started taking off his diaper and taking himself to the bathroom. After two days of changing ZERO diapers for him, I gave in and bought him some undies. He wanted to wear them to bed last night, and cried when I told him he needed a diaper. So I let him wear the undies. And he stayed dry. And he's been dry all day today, and has used the bathroom (on his own) three or four times.
I know he will probably regress, and it can't POSSIBLY be this easy, but I'm grateful for that independent little spirit that wants to be a big boy. And I'm also grateful for that GIANT bladder. Definitely a big plus when potty-training.
And just in case you think McKay isn't capable of making messes on his own...here he is yesterday eating some cherries. My brother called him a blood-thirsty Lamanite. Haha. Yep. With blonde hair.
2 comments:
Ah brothers. They'll be a handful, but oh so worth it. Can't wait to see them as teenagers!
McKay has the best grin ever. Those two little stinkers are too cute for their own good. And growing up so fast! These days will be gone forever all too soon. I am glad you are documenting all their mischief/cuteness, since I bet you'll miss it later! At least the cuteness!
Post a Comment