Poor Kyla. She was sleeping so peacefully until Allie went to bed and woke her up. Now she is having a hard time falling back asleep, and the only time I don't hear her crying is when the noise of the Olympics drowns her out. I'm sure she just wants to be out here enjoying it with me, even if she has no idea why I'm so dang excited.
The whole family has caught the Olympic fever. I have a few pics I want to post, but Jeff has the camera this weekend (the Trapnell boys took a bunch of the kids camping), so that will have to wait. But we all have been thoroughly enjoying watching every day and we won't know what to do with ourselves once they finish next week.
Today has been a very up and down day, and for no reason in particular. It's just part of being a girl, and dealing with all the emotions that surge through our bodies day after day. I love being back here in Utah. It is so nice to be surrounded by family, and to finally be done with school. But it is strange to be back. It's been six years since we last lived here, and I'm not used to "happy valley." Here are a few things that I have had to adjust to since I've been back:
1. HUGE Utah wards. Our ward here in Springville is completely out of control. In Jacksonville, we never filled the soft seats in the chapel, and everyone knew everyone else. Here, if we don't get to church 15 minutes early, we don't get a "soft seat," which makes things ten times harder with the kids. Jeff and I are in primary and we teach half of the nine year olds, and we have nine of them. Senior primary fills the entire primary room, and we have opening exercises in the chapel, where we fill all the "soft seats." It is insane!
2. All the "Mormon movies." There is one coming out right now about sister missionaries called "The Errand of Angels," and the previews feature the song "As Sisters in Zion." It catches me off guard every time I hear it.
3. There are so many Mormons everywhere we go! It's not uncommon to overhear people talking about missions and church at the bank, the grocery store...weird.
4. There are churches everywhere! I knew that, but it's still funny to see them all. There are three within walking distance of the Trapnell's (maybe more, but I haven't actually walked enough to know for sure).
5. While we have lots of family around, and I'm never really lonely, I don't have any friends close by yet. I miss having friends. I miss book clubs, and girls nights out, and park outings...I know it takes time, and mostly it doesn't bother me, but today I just started feeling sad. I'm praying that in our next house, and next ward, I will find some girls I can relate to, that have kids who will bond with my own instantly. Is that too much to ask? Damon is not very good at making friends (never has been), and does better one on one than in groups. There's got to be another six year old boy here in Springville that needs a friend as badly as he does. I'm hoping that he will find one, too.
Speaking of homes, we have spent a lot of time looking at neighborhoods and like several. There is a possibility that we'll end up here in Springville (more to come on that later), which I wasn't expecting, but I know that wherever we go it will be right. And thankfully, we aren't in a huge rush to get out of the basement, so we can wait for just the right situation to come along.
Okay, here's a final thought tonight (Kyla has finally stopped crying, so I can now fully enjoy the rest of the Olympic programming). I would love to be Michael Phelps for one day. It would be amazing to experience what it's like to be the best swimmer in the world. And it would be awesome to be "forced" to eat 8,000-10,000 calories a day.
11 comments:
#5 is my life right now! I hope it gets better for you. It is slowly getting better for me. I am learning to put myself "out there" even more than I had to before but I am finding friends. So that's good. sorry its the same for you right now.
And yes, I would LOVE to eat 8-10,000 calories a day. Even more, I would love to burn 4,000 calories in a single workout.
I know right....Jason and I about died watching that blip about Phelps!!! He is truly inspiring! I can relate to what you are saying about all the churches. I still get surprised. And I'm not a big fan of all the movies. I get it can do a lot of good I just feel uncomfy about some of the tender experiences being on the BIG screen. I love Springfield. Do you know the Nemelka's? I'm really good friends with one of their daughter in laws. And I have to say that in "happy valley" it seems that it's a little harder to make friends because everyone's family is their friends. That's what I found anyway. I know we are still in utah, but vernal seems like gentile land...I love it! Good luck! Enjoy the Olympics...we totally are too!
Ok, I can totally relate to the "friend" thing. It's true that most everyone hangs out with their families, especially on weekends because there are SO many of them here! We've been back for 4 years, and I still don't "hang out" with any girls on a regular basis. I've come to accept it, but still hoping in our new home and neighborhood that will change as I love to have girlfriends and "do stuff". But on a side note, did you have a family in your ward in Florida with the last name Greer? I just found out my friends Darren and Janae Greer are down in that area.
And my #6 would be: There are SO many pregnant ladies! My friend came to visit from Indiana and said, "Why are so many people pregnant here?!?" Utah definitely is a different kinda place. ;)
I hope you find a house soon and can get settled in your own way. Even though Arizona isn't too different than Utah, I still don't see any of the things you named on a daily basis. And our ward is NOTHING like Utah wards. Very spread out and not very "close" in any sense. There are some things about living outside of Utah that make you have to break out of your shell more. I don't think I would like living in Happy Valley either.
I have always wondered what it would be like to live outside Utah and not be able to just talk about your ward, Relief Society, etc without having to explain it all. I'm sure it is quite different.
Good luck finding a house!
10000 calories?!? Holy Cow. You should come move into a house next to me. I know it would be a far commute for your husband, but Ryan and Damon would be great friends. As a side note, my dad is really into Mormon movies and is always trying to get us to watch them with him. So funny. We always end up falling asleep during the first few minutes.
All those things about Utah that you have had to get used to are some of the reasons I don't want to return. I actually can't stand Mormon movies and every time I go to Utah and see a billboard for one I shake my head.
I have to say that my ward here in Fort Wayne is really hard for us to make friends in. We live 30 minutes away from almost everyone in the ward and nobody in Ally's class lives close. It has made it hard to love living here when in Columbus I seemed to have it so easy and had instant friends. It is getting better though slowly so I am sure it will get better for you too. Utah is hard because people aren't as inclined to be your friend since they have family and high school friends so close at hand. Hang in there. Good luck finding a house.
Every place has its challenges, doesn't it? David and I are loving the Olympics, too. It's helpful to have my own personal analyst during the gymnastics competitions:) He was completely disappointed in the American men and embarrassed by the arrogance as they boasted about a bronze medal win without acknowleding the fact that to get the bronze, they had to LOSE the silver...which they did.
LOVING the Olympics too. I wish you all the best in finding a new house and neighborhood where you will surely find and make wonderful friends.
I have felt they way you have felt in #5 many times. I am sure everything will fall into place for you very soon. Good friends are so important for kids and adults.
Michael Phelps is amazing! I have watched more TV in the last week than I have the past year. It is inspiring to see these athletes so devoted to their sport. I would be great at eating 8,000 calories a day! :)
Hey there Krystal...I am missing all of those things on #5 too. Seems like things have fizzled out a bit since you've been gone. I need those outings too and now there are fewer people to relate to you know? Well I am thinking of you too...hang in, you'll be surrounded by close friends in no time.
Post a Comment