Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympics

Thoughts about the Olympics.

How about some volleyball! With Ryan Millar and the men and Logan Tom and the women, U.S.A. volleyball is alive and well! And not to mention our dominance in beach volleyball. How awesome was that? I went back and forth who I loved more, Misty or Kerri. What must it be like to block like Kerri? But Misty is the better player. So I decided. I want to be Misty May. And I want Kerri Walsh to be my best friend. I love those girls!


I'm a little annoyed that baseball and softball are getting cut from the Olympics. I understand that baseball is pretty boring without any MLB players, and that the U.S. softball team is too good for the rest of the world, but really? There are many "sports" that I think should be cut before baseball and softball: The 20 k walk, trampoline, rhythmic gymnastics, field hockey, sailing, judo, Greco Roman wrestling, tae kwon do... And I really don't have anything against any of those events, I am just a little disappointed that baseball and softball are out. Okay, I don't care about baseball. I am sad that softball is out. And do you think the U.S. threw the gold medal game on purpose so softball could be reinstated for 2016?

There's nothing like a good controversy. Especially when it involves gymnasts from China and the U.S. I was fascinated by the U.S. computer hacker who found "proof" that He Kexin is only 14, and how that stirred up so much trouble. Everyone suspects that the Chinese gymnasts are underage, and yet we all knew that the Chinese government was going to provide any necessary proof that they were eligible to compete. Also, it seemed a little fishy that the Chinese gymnasts were getting scores that even Tim Daggett claimed were "a little high." And I don't care how good her first vault was, "Pug Face" didn't deserve a bronze on vault when she fell on her knees on the second.

Luckily, though, our two stars couldn't be stopped. It was another toss-up of who you love more, Shawn or Nastia. I'm just glad they both did so well. It was wonderful to watch.

The Jamaican sprinters were on fire! They all seemed to have their best races at the best time. I really hope they are all clean, because I can't help but be a tad suspicious. Now, I know none of them have ever failed a drug test, and I really do hope they are all doing it without drugs, because it was fun to watch. Especially Usain Bolt. The man is a freak of nature. It's not right to be that tall and to run that fast. Amazing!


New athletes I love: Tyson Gay (did you see the story NBC did on him where he said he could sit and sign autographs all day for kids because he was just so happy to be making a difference in their lives? Love him! And I'm so sad that his Olympics was so awful).


Dara Torres (not technically a NEW athlete, but definitely one of my favs--I told Jeff she should've gotten some fake nails put on before her race, she would've won gold! And then she made the fingernail comment after the race (about how she shouldn't have filed them) and I didn't feel very original).

Kobe Bryant (it was so fun to actually cheer for him instead of detesting him!)

Jason Lezac (we may never see a better finish to a relay than in the 4x100--it was amazing! And thanks to him we got to see Michael Phelps' abs in a way we never would've otherwise!).


So...what am I going to do now that they are over? Jeff is gone all week on a rafting trip, so I will be especially lonely. But I am prepared. I have been waiting for the perfect time to get reacquainted with my good friends, Bella and Edward, and I think this is the time.

10 comments:

lisa h. said...

i enjoyed watching sand volleyball too...they were awesome!

i finished breaking dawn last night. i liked it...though i still think there is too much sex for an lds young adult book...even if they are married. it was good and had plenty of twists and turns in it and seriously it ends very neatly, but i could totally see another book come from it too.

BBC said...

krystal! i totally loved watching the volleyball games! especially the men's final against brasil... how wonderful for the coach too after that trajedy! i hope you like breaking dawn! there's been people on both side who loved and hated it... i personally loved it! i hope you like it too! :) i don't know how you could wait so long to read it! i had to crack it open the moment i got it! :)

J-Lo said...

OK, you can be Misty May and I'll be Kerri Walsh (I think my towering physique lends itself well to that role). Wait, that would mean I'd have to be good at volleyball, so maybe that won't work out...sorry:)
I won't tell David that you would rather see trampoline be dismissed from the Olympics than softball. He's convinced that's his ticket back to the Olympic training center: men's trampoline in 2012. I'm trying to convince him to just stick with being a doctor!

jaesi said...

I still dont like Kobe Bryant.

My next girl will be named Nastia Shawn. :)

Britain said...

My hubby tells me your girl, Misty, is going to be on the next season of dancing with the stars. Will you be watching? I think they should do a dancing with the stars, Olympic edition.

Morgan said...

I could copy your post word for word...clear up to the stupid race walk event. I really was going to post about that so don't think I am copying if I do. :)

I think Misty May is the funniest ever. did you see her dancing on the great wall of China?

I liked seeing Kobe Bryant hanging out with Lebron James at various sporting events.

Becky Seymour said...

you totally remind me of Misty May....seriously! remember when you, me, jeff, and sam played bball together when i was skinny....that was fun! you guys won, if you forgot! if we were to play now......you guys would dominate!! Anyways, have fun with bella and edward. I am going to train for the olympics, i think rowing is my best bet.

Heather B said...

Good comments. I had to smile (as always) at the funny things you say. The Pug Face comment was my fave.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with most of your Olympic stuff. I will say I like Nastia better because she was in the movie "stick it" and my girls love that movie. I am also more sad about baseball. China was such a bad sport in these Olympics. It was disappointing AND I have NO doubt those girls are younger than 16. But that's not really the point is it. Sportsmanship...which I was so proud of the team members from the U.S. and their sportsmanlike conduct and comments. AND....please be someone that can still love our best friends. I keep hearing how no one liked it. It's Bella and Edward. Freak...who cares....it's their story!!!! ;) Wow...that was long. Sorry!

Boo and Sara said...

That was a great recap of the olympics. Misty May is married to a Florida Marlins catcher so she was at Chase Field (Phoenix) when the Marlins played the Dbacks this past weekend. They showed her on the jumbo tron and she got a standing ovation. She then pulled out her gold medal and the crowd cheered so loud it was awesome!

The only TV I have watched since the olympics is Franklin, Little Bear and Oswald. :) I am getting more sleep now but I definitely miss the excitement of the competition. We will now have to wait four more years to see what Michael Phelps will do next and see who the next Nastia and Shawn will be.