Jeff had planned a camping trip with the boys, but once he got up to Beaver Mountain, he called and asked me to come and to bring Allie. We got talked into it when my sister said we could leave Kyla behind.
Damon and Jeff spent the first day hiking and fishing. They hiked the highest peak in Beaver County (and sixth highest in the state), Delano Peak. Damon snapped this shot of Jeff at the top.

They saw a herd of mountain goats at the top and got pretty close to them. My dad was jealous.

Then they went fishing and caught about 20 fish! Jeff thought he had died and gone to heaven. Damon was pretty happy, too.

Allie and I drove up with my BIL, Wayne, and my dad. We drove around looking for the mountain goats (no luck) and tried fishing again (no luck). Allie did manage to fall into the stream and cried for the next hour or so until we got back to camp and out of her wet clothes. You can see in this pic she is wearing Damon's t-shirt and her clothes are "roasting" over the fire. By this time she had cheered up. Jeff had everything set up, and took care of everything, including all the food. He cooked up four of the trout he and Damon had caught and we had a yummy dinner.

The night was rough. We were in the middle of a deer migration (as Jeff claimed) and were awake for several hours listening to the thumpety thump of our deer visitors. At one point we heard a hissing sound, followed by the quick retreat of a deer. That's when I started to get a little scared. I had to pee, but tried to wait it out as long as I could, as I didn't want to face whatever was hissing (do racoons hiss? What else would've been capable of scaring off the deer?). Finally, when all was quiet, I ventured out. It was a little spooky, but I didn't encounter anything out of the ordinary. Damon and Allie slept through it all, which was great, but Jeff and I didn't feel very rested in the morning.
The kids got impossibly dirty for being there such a short time (Damon didn't change once in the three days he was there), and, although Allie didn't have a bad night sleep, she was still pretty tired.


Camping is fun. But it sure is a lot of work. I have been working on getting this mountain of stuff put away. My hair still smells like campfire, but it was definitely worth it. As Damon said, "I love camping because I can get away from home and see the pretty things in nature." He sure must have a lot of pressure here at home if he can't wait to get away.
4 comments:
Cute pictures. I didn't know they caught that many fish, that's great! And now you have a ton of stuff to put away...oh well, at least Jeff did all the other hard work.
How fun! I loved seeing all of the pictures! We haven't seen Damon since he was little...he's getting so big! You other kids are adorable...glad you had fun!
Here's a memory (I'm a few posts off, but oh, well). Remember when Deana, Cindy, you and I went camping for one night and we hung the toilet paper on a tree branch and we sang songs at the top of our lungs until really late around the campfire? I'm happy to say I haven't been camping since then:) It is a lot of work!
My least favorite part is putting everything away. I love the smell of campfire while camping, but once it's in the house I can't stand it for some reason. And yes, we'll have to get together once I'm feeling better. Let's hope it's only 4 more weeks away. They called us this week to talk in Sacrament on Sunday, and I was like, "Oops! Sorry! Too sick." I guess every cloud DOES have a silver lining. ;)
Post a Comment