You may or may not recall that we have been having issues with the girls at night. Kyla would go to bed first, and nearly every night would be awaken by Allie, who usually threw a fit at her bedtime. Neither one could fall asleep easily after that, and we had two tired girls in the morning. Kyla is also trying to transition to one nap, which is hard and leads to a lot of extra whining. So, I had finally had it. I checked out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child from the library and read, trying to find a solution. If any of you are familiar with Dr. Weissbluth, he is all about early bedtimes (like 5:30 or 6:00). And while I knew I could never do that, I could commit to earlier bedtimes (Kyla was going to bed around 7 :30 and Allie at 8:00). So, we started Kyla in bed at 7:00 and she did great. Until she started waking up before 6:00 and screaming for Allie, which then woke us all up.
Back to the drawing board. I finally admitted that the girls are just not ready to share a room. But we don't have an extra room available for KyKy, so she got relegated to the dark, windowless store room in a pack n play. It has been wonderful! Because it's dark, she wakes up later, and because she's alone in there, even if she does wake up earlier, she doesn't get out of bed until the other kids get up. So, yay for KyKy. These pics are from Sunday, when Kyla found a cupcake with plenty of icing (I had scraped the icing off of hers, just to avoid this scenario). It was really quite humorous watching her enjoy the cupcake and I loved these pics.
Allie has a different struggle, in that she doesn't like to go to sleep and she gets herself overtired. So, following Dr. Weissbluth's suggestion, we came up with and earlier bed time, 7:30, and Allie's Sleep Rules. They are: Stay in bed, close your eyes, lay very quietly, go to sleep, stay in bed until morning. We made a chart and have gone over them repeatedly, until she knows them all. If she follows sleep rules, she gets a dum-dum in the morning. And she can choose the flavor. I also added in that she can have a dum-dum if she stays dry all night, because she started having trouble with that again. She's been doing great staying dry, but has probably only gotten 3 suckers for following sleep rules perfectly. BUT she's doing much, much better and there is far less fighting and crying. So, we are grateful for that.
Allie also started a gymnastics class on Wednesday and was the only one wearing a leotard with her undies sticking out the bottom. It was great. The first day was a little rough (she was especially emotional, it may have been one of "those" days for her!), but she told me yesterday that she is going to have a good attitude this week and follow the teacher. Jeff took this picture of her a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, this is how she looks most of the time. We still have intense battles over combing her hair, so if I don't feel that it is absolutely necessary, I don't fight her on it.
Oh, and here are two funnies from Allie.
1. Yesterday Allie was listening to My Playlist and "Crush" came on. From the other room, I hear, "I love David Archuleta....and David Cook." Then she followed that up with, "I love Kyla and Damon." Then after a long pause, she said, "And mom." Well, at least I'm still making the list. I didn't hear any mention of Jeff.
2. My mom is finished with her chemo and on to radiation (yay! Check out her blog if you aren't already an avid reader). We talked to the kids about it and how now we can start praying for grandma's hair to grow back. So, Allie said in her prayer, "Bless grandma's hair to grow back," but didn't stop there. Next, she said, "And bless grandpa's hair to grow back, too." We may have to have a discussion with her about baldness...
12 comments:
Your kids are SO cute! Tell them Hi for me!
i love the pictures of kyla and her cupcake! that looks super yummy! also, i'm glad to her your girls are sleeping better! i love hearing your stories! they totally crack me up!
I love reading your everyday mom stories because I realize I'm not alone!! I can particularly relate to the "raging mom" days as I just had one yesterday. I cannot believe that picture of Damon with his toothless grin. He's so grown up! What happened to the little Damon that used to take me around and point to every letter he saw? BTW, my dad pulled out every one of my loose teeth with pliers and although an odd method, it was pretty painfree every time!
I love that Jeff isn't on the list. That was funny!! Porter and I got a kick out of that. I loved your idea about bedtime rules that she has to follow. Tatum has taken to lying in bed till 9:00 some nights and then getting up for "more water" "another potty" or frivolous questions she has for us. Usually I just get bugged by the end of the night and start talking growly and through my teeth at her. Maybe if there was a reward awaiting her every morning, she'd do better! Thanks for the ideas.
I love Kyla's surprised cupcake face look--she's a doll. Is she really that blonde? Her hair is getting long.
I am also a mom of kids who are for some bizarre reason unable to share a room. And I am grateful that I have the extra room to spread out in - but always frustrated with myself like this should be something I should be able to conquer. Bottom line...my girls don't fall asleep or wakeup at the same time even when their bedtime and wakeup time is the same. So I am done fighting. I'll try again in a year or maybe 10.
Tell Allie that I also love the Davids! (And yes..they were just as fantastic in person when i went to the AI concert!) Obviously being here in David Cook's hometown, we all adore him. Yay for Kansas City finally making a name for itself! ..his new single "Light On" from his album was released on the KC radio just a couple days ago. Your kids are cute. Hopefully I'll be back out there soon, to actually get to know them in person someday!
Tell me about the bedtime woes, sister. Bane of my existence. Good luck.
I LOVE that book. I frequently re-read it. I like your ideas.
I LOVE the pictures of D, A, and K, and your camera is awesome. I think Kyla/surprise cupcake face needs to be framed, that is the cutest thing I've ever seen.
Can't wait to see you soon!
Loved all those photos--Utah in the Fall!! (sigh) Glad the sleeping at night is getting better. I think I could count on one hand all the nights Jolie has actually slept through the night. The two girls started sharing a room now too, so we have Mierae fall asleep in our bed and then we transfer her. But that doesn't work for one trying to sleep in in the morning!!
Post a Comment