I was in bed and Jeff came in with a tiny bottle of yellow paint. It was empty. "Do you know what this is?," he asked.
"It's paint from Damon's art kit. Why?"
"Allie painted all over Kyla's crib with it. What should we do?" I was still in a stupor, having been woken up. I am not the most chipper gal first thing in the morning, and it takes me a few minutes to shake of the sleepies. I didn't know how to respond to that question. I was barely processing the fact that Allie had done something bad, and my brain had no room to come up with a consequence for her.
"I don't know." I rolled out of bed and went into the scene of the crime. Yes, even to someone half asleep, it was obvious that Allie had painted the crib (and parts of the wall and door) yellow.
I found a very sad girl in there, too. I put her up on the rocker and asked her what had happened. Finally, after many many tears and claims of, "I'm scared," she confessed.
"I woke up and saw the paint." The rest follows logically. It only makes sense that she needed to use the paint to change the color of the crib to match the crib sheet and blanket. Why was that so hard for me to understand?
I know she may look contrite, and you may wonder how on earth we could punish such a sad little girl, but we did. Actually, I did, because Jeff was long gone by this time. We spent the morning cleaning up (it did come off, thankfully, as it was washable paint designed for kids), and Allie spent a considerable amount of time in that rocker as I iced my hand down after the hardest spanking I had ever given her. That is, until a few days later when we battled over something else.
I think she learned her lesson. I hope so. Yesterday I found her in the bathroom washing something purple off her hands. I asked her what it was. She wouldn't tell me. But I found an open bottle of purple paint in my bedroom. Yes, she learned her lesson. Or I caught her early enough that she hadn't had time to paint my furniture.
10 comments:
Wow! We have had things like this happen before too, just never before waking up for the morning. I can't hardly function that early. that picture does make me sympathetic to Allie.
She really did a number on Kyla's crib! I'm glad it came off. "I kissed a boy, it's not worth it"...may just be my favorite Allie comment yet! Hilarious! (I had to agree with her after my first few kisses.)
oh man alive!!!
She is Van Gogh.
sorry.
Ah, I feel your pain! That is the worst!
Do you have any gray hairs yet? Just wondering.
It sure was fun catching up with you the other day. Love you!
Wow! We haven't had that happen yet. When it happens at our house (its inevitable) I hope my children are lucky enough that I am in a half sleepy stupor!
"I'm scared" is my favorite line!
What a roller coaster ride being a mother is. I am so glad the paint came off.
Oh my goodness! This post reminds me of when I was a kid and I spilled my cousins RED paint ALL OVER my aunts WHITE carpet! I was five and in BIG TROUBLE. I learned my lesson after that as well!
And to answer your question on my blog, YES, I would LOVE to come out there and decorate your house!!! Anything to get me back to Utah for a visit AND a chance to eat at Cafe Rio again! I wish they would franchise out here, I miss that place so much!!!
Well when Amy was little she took off her diaper and painted on the dark brown crib with her pooooo.
Yea You couldn't even see it you could only smell it. Wash and wash but you could only smell it. You would get it wet and it would smell more.
We had to take the crib apart and scrub it good to get it clean.
Not paint but it was bad.....
Oh Krystal. So so sorry. But I'm sure it'll happen again. It always does. We've had a purple paint episode of our own over here.
Post a Comment