Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A TRUE gifted child

We got a note from Damon's school from the "Gifted and Talented" teacher ( do they still call it that?) with a list of characteristics of gifted children. A checklist, if you will, for determining whether or not our child is gifted. It was fun to read over the list and try to determine whether or not Damon possesses any of the characteristics listed. But it got me thinking about what a gifted child is. And I have come up with my own checklist.

What A Gifted Child Looks Like to Me
  • Has mastered potty-training at an early age (read: 18 months), and never has accidents. Not even at night.
  • Shows proficiency early in verbal communication, and doesn't ever resort to throwing temper tantrums or screaming at the top of their lungs "just for fun."
  • Shows extraordinary ability in folding and putting away the laundry.
  • Has an uncanny knack for cleaning and never has to be reminded to clean up after themselves.
  • Easily grasps the concept of time, and can wake themselves up in the morning at precisely 7:00 on school days, 9:30 on weekends.
  • Displays knowledge of foods and cooking of all types, and is willing to take over the household cooking responsibilities.
  • Loves nature, and spends hours performing tasks such as weeding, edging and watering.
  • Understands his/her own body well, and puts him/herself to sleep without complaint before he/she gets overtired.
  • Is extraordinarily kind, patient and loving, and is able to be left alone with the younger children for hours at a time unsupervised.
Do you have a gifted child at your house? If so, I have three I would be willing to trade in exchange.

7 comments:

Denise said...

HA!! I laughed out loud at your last comment..."willing to trade in exchange" .. .just yesterday I was thinking of how I could trade a couple of mine in.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! All that and can fetch Diet Cokes too! ;)

I am Laura said...

None of mine have one of your traits of a gifted child, but I sure wish they did. I also think a gifted child can sit still at the grocery store, church, and other places that require patience.

Heather said...

Great checklist. Guarantee me a gifted baby like that and I'd have another right now.

Morgan said...

Oh my gosh! That was hilarious! While reading the checklist, I was thinking "you have GOT to be kidding! Damon is just perfect!"

I definitely laughed out loud at the end.

april said...

I say "amen sister!" as well. You really ought to return that list in with the other one. Everyone enjoys a good laugh!

Christina Mangelson said...

Is this real?