Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Letter to me

Yesterday, a good friend from high school was in town and came over to visit. We had a great time catching up on the last 10 years of life, while ignoring the fact that there were children destroying things in the house (thanks Christina, I really did have a great day!).

One of the things we talked about was how much has happened since high school, which should seem ridiculously obvious. But we were talking about people we know who seem to still live in high school, constantly talking about the way things were and how great it was. We both admitted that high school was neither the best or the worst time of our lives. It reminded me so much of the song, "Letter to Me" by Brad Paisley. Probably because one of the lines says, "these are nowhere near the best years of your life."

So, last night as I was lying alone in bed, trying to fall asleep, I started thinking about what I would tell myself if I could hop in a Delorian and deliver a letter to myself in high school. This will probably be boring to everyone who didn't go to high school with me, so please know that you have my permission to navigate away from this page and do something more interesting. This is mostly for me anyway.

Dear Krystal,
Time puts everything into perspective. While most often, I still feel like the same person I always was, when I look back at everything you have ahead of you, I can see just how far you have to come. And so, if I could give you some advice about high school, here's what I would tell you.

The first time Jake breaks your heart, get over him. You really are truly meant to be just friends. Don't spend nights crying over him or wondering what is wrong with you. Just know that you'll meet someone perfect before too long. Move on!

When trying to park the van behind the seminary building, if a spot looks like it might be too small, don't even try it. It's too small.

Do less talking and more listening in choir to Mr. Lister. His heart can't take the stress.

And while you're at it, pay attention in Mr. Ward's calculus class and stop writing so many notes to Kristen and Kandelyn. You might actually learn calculus.

Don't ever mouth off to Coach Larson on the softball team. He will make your life miserable.

Don't go to the sleepover at Genis' house. Nothing good will happen.

Don't be afraid of kissing Tyler. He loves you and will never do anything to make you believe otherwise.

If you take Computer Programming from Mr. Wiarda, make sure you get someone to help you with your final project. You'll never figure it out on your own, and it will murder your GPA.

Enjoy every second of every road trip you take with the volleyball, basketball and softball teams. Those are the times you will miss most once high school is over.

Don't be afraid to try out for Trilogy. It will be one of the best things you will do.

Don't stress about the ACT. That goes remarkably well.

Don't worry so much about what other people think of you. They probably don't think about you very much at all. Besidese, you won't see most of them after high school, and then you'll only "see" them on Facebook, where you can choose which pictures of you they actually see.

Don't go on the church history trip with your aunt and uncle. It will ruin your senior year of volleyball and you'll be bitter for years.

Have the courage to tell Mark face-to-face that you don't want to date him anymore. Don't take the easy way out and ignore him, hoping he'll get the message. And don't write him a letter. Don't be a coward. Tell him.

Leave everything you have on the court. Basketball may not turn out the way you always envisioned, but you'll never regret giving your very best. And don't wallow after you lose. Shake it off and join the rest of your friends at Charlie's.

Most of all, experience high school for what it is--four years of your life. Four great years, but not the best years to come. Four years full of ups and downs, and some of the best friends you will ever find. Don't ever be afraid to let them know how much they mean to you. Someday you will be sitting where I am, reflecting on the past, and the things that will mean the most to you are the relationships you made. So have fun. Take dad's advice and chill out! Don't be so serious about everything. Life gets serious really fast, and you'll wish you would have enjoyed the "carefree" time of your life a little more.

Love,
The older, wiser you


9 comments:

The Calico Crew said...

ahhh Krystal...always thinking ahead. Cute idea..and got me thinking about things myself. Of course I'm not good enough to put it in a letter {yet}. It's a great thing that there IS life after high school because it's soooo awesome!

Heather B said...

I love this. Probably because I knew everything you were talking about. That was really good.

Joni said...

What a great idea. Too bad you can't go back and actually give it to yourself!

It gets me thinking about myself during my High School days. While I had so much fun, I look back at that time and think, "Thank heavens that's over!" I was functioning on such limited knowledge about myself, my potential, my worth. There were gleeful moments, but oh so many tears as well.

If only I could have gone through it liking myself as much then as I do now.

Boo and Sara said...

Great letter! So true. Although I enjoyed high school, I am with you on the fact it was a fun 4 years but not the best 4 years you will ever have. I feel that life just keeps getting better. I do sometimes miss the carefree days. Now when I think of high school I think of my kids and how I hope they don't do some of the things I did :).

By the way, I love your blog because you are such a great writer. I lack in the English department so I resort to just pictures.

Becky Seymour said...

Loved it, so clever, and I wouldn't expect anything less from you. I truly don't know what I would do without meeting you and sharing in life together during "high school." Thanks for the flashbacks and fuN!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. It will be a great keepsake for your girls to read one day when they're in HS.

Jamie W said...

What a great letter. It reminded me of the letter you gave me at high school graduation of things to help me through my first year of college. That meant a lot to me.

Your list made me laugh. Don't worry - there was definitely nothing wrong with you - it was him! :) And now I'm wondering what happened at the sleepover...lol.

TPlayer said...

I'm glad I got you fresh out of our High School days, so even though I wasn't at Pineview with you, I remember hearing about so many of those things!

Christina Mangelson said...

Krystal you amaze me more and more with each new post.

Ditto with what Sara wrote. I love reading all of your posts. You are a fabulous writer. Novel maybe?