Friday, January 15, 2010

Not to be all about Kyla...

...but she seems to be the one who has the most going on right now. Like big dreams. And nightmares. And sometimes those being one and the same. She has been a little sad lately that she doesn't get to go to preschool with Allie, and the other night she woke up crying at 2 am. I went in to make sure she had her binkie and was all snuggled up, but she kept crying. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me, "I want to go to preschool!" I so wished I could crawl inside her head and see for myself just what she was dreaming.

Then this morning, after another 2 am wakeup, she told me about her bad dream. "A big witch was taking my binkie." I can see how that would be traumatic.

Kyla has also decided that it is time to get potty-trained. I wasn't ready for this yet, but she kept showing up in my room in the morning wearing undies. So, grudgingly, I decided to give it a shot. I bought a Barbie on clearance and told her that if she could stay dry for an entire day, she could have her. It only took her three days of trying. Impressive. I have one more that can be earned after 7 days of dryness. That one will be a little trickier. But at least I am not regretting letting her go diaper free. And not having to change a poopy diaper is heavenly.

She doesn't look especially proud here, but she was probably tired from keeping the Barbie from Allie (Allie can be quite manipulative, but Kyla stayed strong and didn't give in).


This one is funny, because how many second graders WOULDN'T be doing bunny ears?


The other latest bit of news is that I dusted off the old sewing machine (still basically new, since I've used it about a dozen times since Jeff bought it for me 4+ years ago) and work on a project. I am certainly no seamstress (the class I took one summer in junior high didn't spark an interest, I suppose), but I thought I could put together a skirt for my crib. I had bought a bumper at Kid to Kid, but couldn't find a skirt that looked good. And even then, I was going to have to pay around $30 for a plain white one.

SOOO, I found a tutorial online (complete with pictures), bought my material and went at it. Four hours, and many, many curse words under my breath later, it was finally finished. It's certainly not perfect, and I won't be opening an Etsy shop anytime soon, but I am satisfied. I think it looks pretty dang alright.


I know it's hard to see, because the mattress in on the highest level, but it mostly hangs flat, with one pleat in each side. I think once the mattress is lowered, it will be just right, but for now, I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Now Baby Boy can come and have a comfy place to sleep. Speaking of the impending due date, I still don't know exactly what to expect. I have been having weekly non-stress tests, where they measure my fluid, and monitor baby's heart rate for a while to make sure he isn't in distress. He has performed well each time, although occasionally they have to use the "baby tazer" on him to get him to wake up. This morning I had a contraction while I was there and his heart rate went a little crazy, so I had to stay a little longer to make sure he recovered well. He did. I'll be 36 weeks on Sunday, so we are getting close. I dreamt he had blue eyes and blond hair, but I'm not expecting that in the least. I just want him here safe.

13 comments:

The Papa's said...

Wow! 36 weeks?!? That seemed to just fly right by....4 me @ least! ;) If my opinion counts @ all, your crib skirt looks dang good to me!

lorimu said...

Your crib skirt looks awesome! I love a good tutorial :-) Also, do you want to potty train Corey? He has no interest and I'm not sure what to do even when he does show interest...

BBC said...

oh krystal! so exciting only a few weeks left! i'll keep you in our prayers these last couple weeks as he prepares to join your family! also, great job on the crib! i was debating doing this myself but chickened out! so way to go!

Lana said...

Seriously...how do people sew things from online tutorials?! Scratch that, how do people sew things?! :) Congratulations on making a super adorable baby crib skirt--I love all the patterns and cheer.

And for a second there, when you wrote "Baby Boy can come home..." I actually read it, "Baby Roy...". And I was nervous that you guys had picked out the name Roy. No offense if you love that name and all. :) Just caught me off guard. If you name him that I'll TOTALLY support you. :) Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! You're there already!? But I guess when you keep it a secret forever it WILL fly by!!! The bumber looks great! Good job!!!! Good luck this week with little baby and stress tests! I didn't know they had little baby tasers! McKelle could have used one!
Good job on the potty training! I dread that part of mother hood as well! Hence my email!!!! ;)

Heather said...

baby taser - ha! Good luck. I am so wowed by your mad sewing skills. I can sew on buttons . . .

Jason and Kate said...

Cute skirt! I dreaded over getting one forever and I should have just made one because yours is super adorable...I mean handsome. I can't believe you are due soon! Good luck and hope all goes well.

Greg and Tammy said...

Dang. I had no idea it was coming up so soon!! Good luck!! The sewing job is wonderful... especially to the most non-seamstress in the world (ME!). Very impressive! Must be that nesting instinct kicking in. :) And BTW, I LOVE ME some Kid to Kid. Shop there pretty much exclusively.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I am very impressed with the sewing skills Krystal! That is exciting that soon there will be another little boy in the Trapnell family.
I had non-stress tests with my girls every week too (twice a week with Lydia). I hope they continue to go well. Enjoy these last few weeks with all your "big" kids before the new one arrives!

Karen E said...

I think I noticed that the crib is strategically placed in the room I call "my room". Does that mean baby boy and I are sleeping together?
Oh, and BTW, if you think that we teach our children by example, I am having to think again. What do you two girls, (k and h) mean that you can't sew?
Did you ever see a sewing machine on our kitchen table? Remember all the lessons of example, example, example????? not to mention the lessons at the sewing machine store (can't remember the name)

Kristen Mackrory said...

Awesome job on the bedskirt. I'm impressed! And congrats on the potty training. It was great to see you the other day. We still have a carebear that we need to return to you. :) I'm excited to hear about the arrival of your "blonde haired, blue eyed" boy. :)

Denise said...

The crib skirt looks great! Good job.

Michelle said...

so where did you get the bed/crib skirt tutorial? just curious. email me w/ the info. thanks!