Isn't that always how it goes with a newborn? I stayed in the hospital for two nights (so as to get the most money back from Aflac and Conseco) and came home on Sunday. Since we've been home, things have gone extremely well. Recovery is never fun and/or easy, but I am feeling better every day.
My biggest complaints post-partum were:
1. The uterine contractions. Supposedly they get worse with each delivery, and these ones were extremely painful. The most painful contractions I felt during any part of my labor (blessed epidural!). Fortunately, the worst of the contractions happened in the hospital, where I had percocet at my disposal, and I managed to get through that.
2. The pain of breast-feeding. Despite my religious use of Lansinoh, I always seem to get have a hard time adjusting to nursing every few hours. That pain is getting much better, but I still cringe every time I begin nursing. And the engorgement. Oh, it's so painful. And one tiny baby cannot begin to drink enough milk to relieve that pain. I am currently without a breast pump (it has been misplaced), and waiting for the one I ordered on eBay to get here, so I haven't been able to really pump much either. On Facebook, I posted that my body thought it was fun to make enough milk for 4 babies. Now I am down to enough milk for twins. And that isn't a bad thing.
3. The hemorrhoids. I don't think much else needs to be said, but that is definitely included in my recovery process.
The kids seem to be adjusting fairly well. I know that is probably because my mom is here and takes them to do fun things every day. What are we going to do when she goes home on Friday? I'm not anxious to find out. Damon and Allie don't seem to be affected by the baby at all. They just live their normal lives, albeit much more fun when grandma is around, and haven't shown any signs of displacement.
Kyla, on the other hand, has suddenly become the most stubborn, strong-willed little girl imaginable. Don't let that smile fool you, she has not been the least bit cooperative since we brought Carter (she pronounces it "Cado," like "avocado") home.
Carter is doing amazingly well. He has figured out his days and nights and will wake up a couple of times at night to eat and then goes right back to sleep. So far, he is a dream newborn, with very few issues. I know it's way to early to proclaim him a calm, content baby, but I am enjoying it now. We'll see how he does once he hits the six week "wake up period." He was a bit jaundiced, so we let him have a little sunbath one afternoon.
He is also very alert, and will turn his head to hear my voice when I'm nearby. He sleeps a lot, but when he's awake, he seems to really try to engage whoever is holding him.
22 comments:
You are indeed a woman of many blessings. Enjoy four! I'm glad you can start out while some are still in school. Summer with four is busy for moms.
your kids are blessed to have you! carter is beautifully handsome!
Your kids are all so adorable, and you are my hero for having 4 kids! I don't know if I'll make it past 2!!
Beautiful family. Beautiful Carter.
Oh oh oh just mentioning the thought of cracked nipples-hemorrhoids-and uterine contractions is enough birth control for me
I cant believe you went bowling less than a week of all those things mentioned :)
He is an adorable baby, Krystal.
I'm so happy for your growing family of 6! Wow.
Carter is SO adorable! I'm glad everything went well and you are home and recovering. It's always nice to come home! Congratulations!
YEA!!!! CONGRATS!!!! Four darling kiddos!! So happy for you. Good luck.
Glad to hear all is going well! Congrats!
Those few weeks after a newborn are so precious and all, but they are so crazy emotional too. I did a fair amount of crying for unknown reasons myself! You have some dang cute kids though. I hope that Carter continues to be a sweetie for you and that Kyla will catch on too. That is a toughie...
You are looking great (I know you hear that from everyone but I always feel my best after the baby is born...best weight plan ever!) Carter is soooo cute! He's really making me think I want another one.
Carter is so handsome! I totally feel your pain with Kyla. Everyone asks me how Hayden is doing with our new baby and I say she's great with the baby she's just ticked off at mom and dad. Time seems to even things out though and it all gets better. Glad you guys are doing great!
wow, 4. i am in awe. and i think a newborn is always hardest on the youngest. my ashton was (and sometimes still is) just like kyla. she'll come around though, they always do. and carter is just so handsome! love the forehead wrinkle. :) congratulations again. what a beautiful family you and jeff have!
He is such a beautiful baby! He fits right in with your family! It seems like the first 6 weeks with a new baby are so hard...Everything's just so new and crazy and emotional. But congratulations!! I'm excited for you guys!
Awww...I just love him, he is so so so adorable. I wish I could borrow him. SO SORRY ABOUT THE PUMP! I feel very partially responsible. I love the picture of all 4 kids. Good luck with Kyla. I'm sure nothing will really make it better except time.
Carter is SO cute!! I can't wait to see him in person! Wish I was there to help!
Man you two make some cute kids! Glad he's such a good baby so far. And I hear ya on those post labor contractions--worse than natural labor!
I'm excited that you're coming to AZ...we live right outside of Phoenix so I would love to see you when you come! It's been a long time! Like 5 years? Too long!
Congrats Trapnell family!!! We are so happy for you and excited Carter is here safely. He is such a cutie and what a lucky little boy to be born to such a great family. Love you guys!
OH MY WORD!! He is beautiful Krystal. Tell Carter he is a little stinker because he has got me baby hungry again! He is ADORABLE! So glad he is here! What a beautiful family!
What a cute little family! Thanks for letting me borrow your mom to go to Jazz games! It's been fun!
How cute! There is nothing like a newborn. It makes me a bit jealous. But I already have 4 and am very familiar with periodic breakdowns...so I can't get baby hungry. Oh, the recovery process really is a deterant. I hate, hate, hate the afterpains. Percocet never works for me-I always say that I need the epidural after the birth. Glad you guys are doing well. Congratulations!
Might I say - you aren't alone. Jaxan has been acting the same way you describe KyKy acting. She is no longer the baby and she is having a hard time with it.
I have had my share of meltdowns and anger issues to deal with. I think part of it is postpartum and part of it is other things catching up to me.
Breast feeding is so painful. Not only do we endure 9 months of sickness, back pain, and cramps... but then we deal with engorgement and painful nipples from feedings. I will take the part of your milk you aren't using. I am still not making enough! Thank goodness for pumping.
I am glad your baby #4 has been content so far. Mine was also and it did make the transition a bit easier. And your description of complaints bring back many memories some which I wish I wasn't reminded of yet (since I'll be having #5 late in August). Enjoy your mom for another day!
Post a Comment