Since then, he has done very well. He was pretty miserable all day Thursday and Thursday night. I'm sure he felt awful. His throat probably hurt, he was trying to shake off all the sedation meds he had been given, and he was probably just as sick of the hospital as we were. I was so happy to hear his voice again, the crying didn't really bother me. Until about 1:00 am when I was desperate for a little sleep. I knew he must be so worn out, and that eventually he would have to sleep, but he held out. He'd sleep for a few minutes at a time and then wake up and cry. The nurse came in to check his vitals at 1:00 and I about passed out on the bed. I vaguely remember her asking if she wanted me to feed him a bottle (he still wasn't allowed to nurse until he got the hang of feeding again. There was a lot of coughing and choking involved the first few times).
Finally, after being up and down to the point of not really remembering much of anything, at his 4:00 feeding, he fell asleep. And we both slept until 7:30. The worst part of it all was that I couldn't walk around the room or really wrap him up. He still has monitors, oxygen tubes and his picc line to worry about, so we were confined to a 2 foot radius next to his bed for any and all comforting. I would have loved to put him in bed with me, where he loves to snuggle, but that was not an option.
Friday morning, the pediatrician came to see him and took him off the oxygen for a test run. He didn't pass, but started desatting a little, so he put the oxygen back on and turned it down to 1/8 of a liter, just a "trace," as they call it. He was still breathing fast, but his last chest xray looked better and his lungs sounded better. All good signs. Jeff spent all day with him while I tried to get things caught up back at home. Jeff can handle things at home, but the dishes, the laundry and the general cleaning gets neglected. So I spent the afternoon trying to put the house back together. Last night I went back to the hospital to spend the night there. He was so much happier, almost like the little boy I remember from a week ago. He slept 2-3 hours at a time and didn't have any of the fussiness he had the night before. He looked at me for a long time, and I thought I just might get that first smile out of him, but it didn't come. Soon, I know.
7 comments:
Yeah for being extubated. Come on little guy, you can do it! This will make future snuggling so much sweeter!
We are glad he is getting better. What a crazy time for you and Heather to have your kids in the hospital. It is so sad to see your son (who looks exactly like Jeff by the way) in the hospital. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you. love you tons.
He has such a cute little mouth. I'm sure getting sick of these hospitals too. But it would be worse to not be able to sleep next to/snuggle your baby who has a hoarse little voice. sad!
I am so glad that he is doing better. I have been checking your blog for an update and we have been praying for little Carter.
I've been following your blog throughout this awful ordeal. Poor little Carter! I'm so sorry that you've all had to go through this. We've prayed for him, and hope that he will continue to improve and be able to come home SOON!
Hooray for being able to hear him cry! Those first few cries after being extubated are so sad...but I think seeing your baby cry but not hearing him is worse.
Glad to hear he is doing better... hope he can come home soon.!!
Post a Comment