Thursday night I kept feeling like he was getting worse, but there was no evidence of that. He didn't have a fever, was still nursing, and sounded like he was breathing alright. Friday morning he was awake for about an hour, and not sad at all, so I still thought he was okay. By 11:00, his appetite had diminished and by 2:00 he had a fever of 100.5. I called the doctor's office and told the nurse what was going on and we got in to see the doctor around 4:00. By then, he had really taken a turn and was not doing well at all. He was only getting about 80-85% oxygen on room air and really grunting a lot. It was decided that he needed to be admitted to the hospital.
An hour later at the hospital, he was down to 75%, with some major retractions when he breathed. He had completely lost his spunk and didn't put forth any fuss when the nurses started working on him. Respiratory suctioned him out and started him on oxygen, but within an hour or so, they decided it wasn't enough, and put him on a machine called a CPAP, which essentially blows air into his lungs to keep them open so he wouldn't have to work so hard. They started two IVs for fluids (he wouldn't eat or even try), and put a tube down his throat to vent his stomach and to get some of the mucus out there. I took this picture after they were finished hooking him up on Friday night.
Since then, he has gotten a little worse. He stayed on the CPAP and was doing alright, but was still working a little harder to breathe than they wanted. He wasn't allowed to have any food, but got IV nourishment. Yesterday he was a lot more feisty, and wasn't the least bit happy about what was happening to him. Jeff stayed with him last night, and said around 3 am his coloring wasn't good and he was lethargic again. The decision was made to intubate him. When I heard that, I was sad. I thought that meant he had taken a step back. But after seeing him for myself today, I realize that it's not all bad. He just wore himself out trying to breathe, and he can't get the secretions out by himself. Also, RSV takes a few days to peak before it plateaus and you see improvement, so it was probably a combination of the RSV getting worse and his body tiring out that made it necessary for the ventilator (I don't have a pic of him on the vent yet, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as that scary pic of the CPAP mask).
He still will be in the hospital for several days. It's hard to know how many, but we are hopeful that within a day or two he will start to improve and will get to be extubated. For now, he is sedated and resting comfortably and just needs time to get better. We are starting to give him breast milk through his tube and we'll see how he tolerates that. I'm glad to be able to do something, even something so small, for him. It's hard to see him helpless and I have found myself wondering what else I could have done for him. I tried to keep the sick kids away and do everything I knew how to do to make sure he didn't get sick(including pleading with the Lord daily to keep him healthy), but it didn't help. I guess we have more things to learn from this experience and I am determined to learn them. One thing I have realized is that it isn't my fault. I am sad that I can't protect him from everything, but I know that's not realistic. One of the "blessings" of a mortal body is the ability to experience all things, even sickness that lands you in the hospital at 3 weeks old.
Today I am feeling encouraged. I feel peaceful. I know it's because of the many, many people who are fasting and praying for him. Thank you all so so so much. We have felt such an outpouring of love that puts a lump in my throat. Carter is so lucky to have so many people caring for him. And I am patiently waiting the time I can hold him again and tell him just how lucky he is.
More updates later as things change (hopefully for the better!)
15 comments:
I'm so sorry you guys have been dealing with all this! How scary! You and Carter have been in all of our prayers. We hope he starts feeling better really soon!
Oh Krystal, you will all be in our prayers. Best of luck! Get sleep when you can. Wish I could help.
YUCK. YUCK. YUCK. I am so sorry to hear all this. We will keep him in our prayers and hope things get better soon. Thank GOODNESS for modern medicine.
Some girls (and boys) get all the luck. Sorry you get to have so much fun so early on. I just kept thinking about you and your nursing stories and wondered how you're getting along without a nursing baby. Blessed pumps. Hang in there. Sounds like you've got a great attitude right now so that's probably all you can do. Glad you'll be keeping us posted!
My heart goes to you! What an emotional experience. I'll put him in my prayers tonight.
I am sorry that you inherited my anxiety for medical issues with those that we love ( it never bothered me when I worked in hospitals with people I didn't know) but I can tell you this, after MANY years of worrying, I have finally learned to TRUST more. I know we need to do our part to be careful and safe, etc. But when bad things happen, Heavenly Father finds a way to make something good out of it, all the while he is teaching us valuable lessons. Jesus Christ is a healer , everything he touches, he heals, and it lives, not just health problems, but even things like our marriages, if HE touches it, if we ALLOW Him to touch it, it will be healed. He heals in HIS way, but many, many times, it is just what we ask for because He loves us and wants us to be happy. There is ALWAYS a lesson HE wants us to learn while going through these things, if nothing else, learn that we have SOMEONE to TRUST our very lives with. "IT WILL ALL TURN OUT ALL RIGHT" I think I heard President Hinckley say that more than once. My anxiety is healing, because of HIM.
we're praying for you! i hope carter feels better soon!!!
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. We'll keep you all in our prayers too. Hope he gets better asap. Hang in there!
Wow what a lot to go through with such a new little baby! I will add you and Carter to my prayers.
Seriously, what a blessing that they can do so much for a little tiny baby. You guys will be in our prayers for sure. You are an example to me of the right attitude to have. The Lord is definitely with you and giving you strength. Love you guys!
I love that little guy! So glad you're feeling peace.
Oh my goodness. Having sick babies FREAKS ME OUT. I admire your attitude and faith.
After having Eden in January I spent months worrying about RSV. We were blessed not to have to deal with it. I hope your little man is on the up and up soon.
Take care.
Get better little cutie man :)
Seriously after all of this- you deserve a fantastic get away.
You should listen to that Karen E person...she has always known what to say! When I saw your post on FB, I called the temple prayer roll to put all of your family's names on the prayer roll. I had a great nephew go through this 2 years ago at Primary Children's Hospital. It turned out well! (I had another great nephew born Dec 14...his name is Carter, too!)
God bless you!
Oh. What a difficult experience. I am so glad he is out of the hospital now. You have done such a good job of documenting everything!
Post a Comment