Although I knew it was a possibility, I was a little shocked that it was actually happening, and was a bit emotional as I was admitted and made the necessary phone calls. My mom, who had driven home on Wednesday, immediately jumped in the shower and prepared to make the drive back. I was alone for a few hours as I tried to find someone to watch the kids (there was really no rush for Jeff to get to the hospital, since we knew it was going to be several hours before anything happened), so I got to really think about what was going to happen. And request the epidural before the nurse even started the ptocin. The timeline for the day went like this:
10:00 am-failed non-stress test
10:30-admitted, dilated to 1.5
12:00 pm-epidural and pit started
2:15-dilated to 3, 60% effaced (Jeff got there about 1:00, missing out on the multiple attempts to start my IV and the epidural. Good timing, since he isn't a big fan of watching needles pierce skin).
3:30-met Dr. Weibell, my doctor's partner who was on call, who broke my water. Dilated to 5, 80% effaced, 0 station. We started to worry that my mom, who was still 2 hours away, wasn't going to make it
4:15-dilated to 8, 90% effaced, started me on oxygen as baby wasn't tolerating contractions very well. I was feeling very little and happy as could be. The oxygen stabilized baby's heart rate quickly, no concerns.
5:00-started pushing. Mom still 22 miles away. Baby posterior, not making much progress. I could feel the contractions by this point, but they were not super painful. We learned quickly that I probably wasn't going to be able to push him out on my own, without a little help from the "vacuum." But baby's heart was fine, I was fine, so we decided to wait for my mom before getting the vacuum, just pushing with each contraction with little to no success.
5:25-mom finally arrives, doc pulls out vacuum
5:32-baby boy makes his way into the world with a gigantic cone head! 7 lbs, 1 oz, 19.5 inches long, apgar scores of 8, 9.
My first thought is that I am so glad for modern medicine. Not only the ptocin to stimulate labor, the epidural to make it bearable, the vacuum to help speed things along, but also the ultrasounds and heartrate monitors to begin with, that let us know that our boy was headed for trouble. We were able to get out in front of it and he really didn't scare us at all with his cord compression. We were able to get him here safely and quickly (almost too quickly!), and everything went amazingly well.
We named him Carter Edward Trapnell. Carter was the name Jeff and I agreed on, as one of the few we both really liked. Edward is after Jeff's dad, Frederick Edward, as well as Jeff's grandpa and great-grandpa. It has nothing to do with a certain vampire. But a fun coincidence...
I'm sure there will be plenty more in the days to come, as well as lots more pictures once I figure out how to get them off of my mom's camera, but here are some to start.
25 comments:
Congratulations! He is such a handsome little guy. I am so glad that everything worked out and that he is healthy!
Yay! He is such a cutie! I'm glad everything went well and you are both happy and healthy!! I too am so greatful for modern medicine! Now is the fun part where you get to enjoy him, and not so many worries!!
Fantastic story! So glad your mom could make it. Way to hold on. Thank goodness for the epidurals!
Can't wait for more pictures!
Oh yay!! He is so handsome. Congratulations. So glad everything went well.
Congratulations!!! What a cutie!!! I'm so glad everything went well for you and little Carter. He is a doll!
Awww, Congrats!!! He is darling & I hope you're doing well!!! :)
I just think he is SO adorable! And I love that last picture of him with mom. HE LOOKS SOOO BLOND! It will be fun to see how he turns out.
LOVE the name Carter! He's so cute!!!!!!!
He is so cute Krystal! I am so glad all went so smoothly and he is here FINALLY! Enjoy your new son!
Oh, he really is so cute! Congrats. I'm happy it was such a happy ending (or beginning, rather)!
Loving all his blonde hair!!! and the cheeks :) can't wait to meet him. I think we are coming up north for spring break March 8th! hopefully we can see him then!
Krystal he is just so darling! And not to worry about the cone head, 2 of my 3 also needed a little help from the vacuum. Glad that he is finally here. Oh, and I love his name! And hooray for Damon...a big brother to a brother at last! :)
Congratulations Krystal! I am so happy that everything turned out well. He's adorable! Take care!
Congratulations to you guys! You managed to have another adorable kid! Love the name too. Hope you're doing well and getting some rest occasionally. Take care!
Carter is such a looker! Congrats!
what a whirlwind baby.
Love ths story im so happy for you Krystal CONGRATS Carter is so cute!!!
Congrats! There is definitely a family resemblence.
Yay for a brother! I love the name Carter and he is SO cute! Congrats!!
He is ADORABLE! I bet Damon is so happy to have a brother, that is the cutest picture. I am glad your mom made it just in time. I'm with you, thank heaven for modern medicine!
Love you SOOO much!
He is really a beautiful baby. I just loved that picture of him with Damon. Damon really looks so excited. I am so happy for all of you!
Oh, Krystal, he is such a beautiful, perfect baby! He definitely has Trapnell all over him. Congratulations! I'm so glad everything went well and that your mom made it! Love this baby boy!
He is so stinking cute Krystal!! Look at all your happy kids- there is so much love there you can just feel it through the pictures. Congrats.
What a beautiful little boy! I couldn't be happier for you! I'm glad your mom made it just in time. I love all the pictures, especially the one with Damon. I always wished I had a brother! I can't wait to hold him. And when I told Kyle his name, he said, "Oh, Krystal's a Twilight fan, huh?" But he also likes the name b/c our family name is "Edwin" that has been passed from grandpa, to Kyle to Gabe, and actually all of Kyle's siblings call him Ed. Anyway, just a side note. :)
Oh, he's just perfect and does look like your other kids! I love the name! Congrats!! hope all is going well.
Krystal, I am so behind on blog reading. I am so sorry I didn't know about Carter until now. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That picture of Damon and the look on his face with his brother actually brought tears to my eyes.
Post a Comment