Some thoughts as I sit, once again, in this peach hospital chair,
To answer some of the questions I have been asked: While Carter was on CPAP (back a lifetime ago), he wasn't getting any feedings. He was on IV fluids first and then something called TPN, which has proteins and lipids for a little nourishment. Once he was on the vent and doing well, we started feeding him through his NG tube. We started with 6 ml and worked up to 80 ml (about 2 1/2 oz) every 3 hours. I would pump every few hours, taking my magazine into the pump room (and feeling a little dirty about it:) and saving my milk in the fridge/freezer. After he came off the vent, he took bottles of breast milk for a day before we started nursing again. He has done extremely well with his feedings, and I feel like we're starting all over again with the pains of nursing.
When he was on the ventilator, he couldn't make any noise. Sometimes the nurse would be listening to his lungs and would tell me that she could hear him crying, but we didn't hear a noise. Some nurses kept him heavily sedated (to the point that they would give him more meds if he started moving his arms around) , but one nurse (the one who was with him during the day on Monday-Wednesday) let him be awake more, as long as he wasn't flailing around, trying to get that tube out. That was when I shot the video clip of him looking around. I wasn't allowed to hold him until after he was extubated, which was so hard. Especially when I could see he was upset and I just wanted to crawl up on his tiny bed next to him to comfort him.
Now that he is doing better, he doesn't have a nurse with him all the time, which is nice, but also a lot more lonely. Carter isn't exactly a great conversationalist, and it gets a little lonely here clicking through the same channels over and over. I haven't seen much of Jeff at all. We pass each other at the hospital as one of us takes a shift at the hospital and the other takes the other kids home. It's like we're in a long distance relationship, resorting to sharing information over the phone, with frequent 30-second sightings. I know it's getting hard on Jeff. He isn't used to spending this much time taking care of a baby, and he has had to be here a lot so the other kids don't forget that they have a mommy.
It's also hard on me. There are moments every day where I feel completely spent, both emotionally and physically. I am not getting much sleep at all, which I know makes things harder, and we're now going on day 11, which is a lot longer than we thought we would be here. My brain is not functioning properly. I parked Jeff's 4Runner in the parking lot one day and accidentally left the lights on. Then I forgot that the car was here, and three days later when we went to go pick it up, the battery was shot. He had to get a new one. I completely spaced kindergarten registration last week and now have to figure out what I need to do to get Allie enrolled in school next year. I can't remember things that happened yesterday, much less things that happened a week ago. It's like my mind is clouded and I'm constantly trying to see through the fog.
The kids are, for the most part, handling things very well. They have been up to visit a couple of times, and they are more interested in eating all the snacks and begging to play in the toy room than they are in their baby brother. A couple of times I have tried to lie down and take a nap while the kids play, but that hasn't exactly worked out. Once, I put Damon in charge and told him I needed one hour without disruption. Twenty minutes later, he was banging on the door, frantic because Kyla had chosen that moment to dump half a bottle of fish food in the fish tank. Instead of napping, I had to suction as much as I could get, so the fish didn't overindulge.
Yesterday, I again asked them to let me lie down and put in some bright orange ear plugs. I invited Kyla to nap with me (hoping to avoid any more disasters), but she declined. A little while later, I felt her in bed next to me, trying to remove my ear plugs. I told her to leave them alone, and a while later she was asking Allie to get my chapstick for her. Allie asked where it was, and Kyla said, "in mom's ear." Apparently she hasn't been introduced to ear plugs yet.
Carter's progress continues to be slow. We had to put him on high flow oxygen because he was just breathing too fast, and the doctor didn't want him to wear himself out again. Again, it felt like a step backward when we should have been moving forward, but at least he has avoided CPAP again. His oxygen saturation is fine, but he still breathes about 60 times a minute, even with the increased oxygen. Ideally, he would be in the 50's with no outside help. That is the goal. That is what we are working toward. Today is the last day he has his antibiotics, so his PICC line can come out soon. His lungs sound good and his secretions are minimal, so we're just waiting for his breathing to slow down so we can start talking about when he can come home.
18 comments:
Wow. Day 11. Brutal. Thanks, that answered most of my questions. That's good to know. Chapstick in your ear. Hilarious. Hang in there sis. The end is in sight.
I'm a firm believer that if our life is a test then the greatest percentage is devoted to the hard essay questions. This is you writing an essay. And I think you are doing fabulously.
I can't say I know what you're going through, but I can say I'm amazed at your strength and your ability to still find humor in little things like taking your magazine in the pumping room with you. :)
Wow! You are probably one of the strongest people I know! Hang in there, I'm sure it is tough on all of you! We'll continue to keep you guys in our prayers!!! :)
Oh Krystal. I am so sorry. I know how it feels to be spent emotionally and physically. Hopefully it will all resolve very soon and you'll get a normal routine going again. Glad he didn't have to go back on CPAP.
I'm so glad he didn't have to go back to the CPAP. I hope you get some sleep soon. Magazine in the pump room...hilarious. Before this did you even know there were such things as "pump rooms"?
I am so glad to hear that he is doing better. It truly is so trying. I don't know how you are doing it all. Carter sure has had a rough start...hopefully he gets his repiratory rate down. I know all about those crazy pump rooms (and magazines to pass the time). My first was a preemie and I can't imagine having to do the extensive hospital thing with other kids. You are amazing and I hope you get some sleep soon.
I'm thinking day 11 is a lucky number for you...if I remember correctly. I'm predicting some sleep in your near future. You are a trooper!! And you're amazing at keeping the rest of us up to date!! Sounds like Carter's getting there. You'll be back together again soon and have so much to talk about...after you've hibernated a while!
You are an amazing Mother! Hang in there and realize that this too shall pass. We are praying for your family.
Hang in there, Krystal! My niece went through this 2 years ago for 3 weeks...1 week in AF ICU, and 2 weeks at Primary's. You'll be able to go in your school office and register Allie when things get back to normal.
Krystal I feel so badly for everything you guys have gone through this winter. You're still in our prayers and please let me know how I can help. I can take your kids or whatever just call me for anything.
801-857-0063
We are thinking about you and praying for you and Carter. You are so tough, Krystal, I am sure you all can make it through this! I love his sweet chubby cheeks...I can definitely tell he is yours!
oh my, I haven't come to your blog for a long time. I sort of forgot about my friends blogs that are private. I am so sorry to read about your baby. What you must be going through. I am so so sorry. I hope he is doing better. I never knew how bad RSV was. I hope you have lots of help and support. I will keep little Carter in my prayers - and you too.
Thank you for keeping us all updated. I hope things start to improve quickly so you guys can return to normal life soon. I can't imagine the sad state that my house would be in if I were going through all that! And my kids...everything. My prayers continue to be with you and the family and Carter.
Poor Carter and especially poor you and Jeff! I'm sorry to hear that little Carter has been so sick and I hope he get's better soon. We'll keep your family in our prayers and hope he recovers soon. And Krystal...you are 1 tough gal. I don't know how you're balancing everything right now, but you always manage to find a way! Hang in there!
Krystal,
You are one tough gal, but even more , you are a spiritual gal. I have loved watching you turn to the Lord for all of your answers and your support. I know this wasn't a walk in the park (that would be a St. George park, with sunshine :), but you always found a way to TRUST the Lord that all these things would give you experience, and you are learning from them. You are incredibly patient, you seem to have the Holy Ghost with you all the time, knowing just how to handle all that's on your plate, I admire you. I know you love being a mother, and I love being YOUR mother. You, my sweet and special number 11, are the best!! I love you 4-ever, mom
AND, day 11 did turn out to be a turn around for Carter, didn't it?
I haven't read your blog for a while and am sorry to hear that Carter is still in the hospital. Poor guy. It sounds like a lot to handle. Hang in there!
Post a Comment