Monday, February 18, 2008

The End of the World

This could be a long one. Brace yourself...

Valentine's Day was fun. We got a babysitter and went to a party (something new for us on V-day, for sure). We ate our favorite sushi and then played The Not-so-Newlywed game. We must have been on the same wavelength (I'll attribute it to the sushi), because we did fairly well. We were tied for the lead after the last question and went into a tiebreaker. I was answering the question, with Jeff trying to match my answer. The question was, "When is your mother-in-law's birthday?" We got it wrong (by one day) and lost. I'll let you guess which one of us didn't know when her birthday was. We also had a little white elephant gift exchange. The candy bra I found was a hit. By the time we got home, I was way too full to eat any dessert (again, blame the sushi), but we've been snacking on this tasty treat for days:



Jeff did good--something unexpected, thoughtful, and goes well with ice cream. Just what I love. Oh, and the best part was that after the party the girl who was watching our kids wouldn't let us pay her, even after we insisted several times. Now we have to find a way to make it up to her.


Damon asked me last week if I was perfect. Laughing, I told him of course not. "Almost," he said, perfectly serious. Touched, I smiled at him. "Not even close, " I said. "But thank you."

A week ago, our ward primary had a talent show. I asked Damon what, if anything, he wanted to do for it. He told me he wanted to play the piano. Now, he doesn't know how to play the piano, but has taught himself "Mary Had a Little Lamb" during choir practice at the church. Okay by me. He decided to sing a verse, too. This was all him. Sorry about the bad lighting--still pretty cute.

Allie has a black eye. She was wrestling with Damon, hit some part of the fireplace, and came away like this:

We thought it would be fun to teach her something to say when people asked her what happened. This is what we came up with. I know, we're dorks.

I think it looks better today, so I'll take another pic after she gets up from her nap. She had a tough morning this morning, sneaking frosting from my giant cookie and applying makeup to both herself and Kyla. I love the second pic of Kyla. She looks pretty with makeup on, don't you think? Allie wasn't smiling immediately after these pics, as I sent her to timeout.


Oh, and Allie still hates Jonny (my brother, who she hasn't seen since Christmas). We had the following conversation last week:

A:I don't like Jonny without his shirt on.

K: He has big muscles, don't you like that?

A: No. When I grow up, and get big muscles, I'm going to smack him.

What a sweetie. Speaking of sweeties, I looked over at the high chair the other day, and noticed Kyla doing this:

I so remember both of my other kids doing this, and for some reason, it just made my day. I love that girl.

Alright, pictures out of the way, basic catch up completed. On to what I wanted to write about. Friday was one of those days. You know the kind, where everything (and everyone) is irritating for no particular reason? I was sweeping the floor AGAIN, and I started looking around. Everywhere I looked I saw something that needed to be cleaned; the walls, which don't clean up well at all, looked dirtier than usual. The windows were dirty, the carpet needed to be cleaned...the list just grew longer and longer the more I looked around. And my spirits sank. I started feeling like no matter what I do, it's not good enough. And everything I could see was reminding me of that fact. The dirty floor, the clutter on the dresser, fingerprints on the mirror--they were all mocking me, telling me that I'm just not good enough.

I put the girls down for a nap and started watching a show that had come in the mail from Netflix (an awesome Christmas present we got this year!). I'll spare you the details, but the point of this particular episode was this: "What would you do if you knew it was going to be your last day on earth?" While completely unbelievable and implausible, I got sucked into the drama of the show, and when Jeff got home from golfing, I was riveted, and emotionally involved. I had to pause it with about 10 minutes left so that I could go pick up Damon from the bus. On my way to the bus stop, I just keep thinking about that, and asking myself what I would do (or wouldn't do) if I knew it was going to be my last day on earth.

I wouldn't make Damon go to school, but would spend the morning snuggling with him and letting him play with my hair. I'd let him eat candy for breakfast and wouldn't tell him he needed to make his bed or clean up after himself.

I wouldn't get mad at Allie when she had an accident. I also wouldn't make her go to timeout for anything but hurting someone else. I wouldn't tell her we needed to comb her hair or that she was singing too loudly. I would let her eat whatever she wanted all day long, including my giant cookie with the frosting on it. I wouldn't make her take a nap and would let her wear whatever she wanted.

When Kyla cried, I wouldn't just put her in her high chair with some cheerios or a meat stick and hoped she would feel better. I wouldn't put her down because I had something else I needed to do, or let her cry for a few extra minutes while I finished something up.

I wouldn't exercise or even make my bed, and I would eat whatever I wanted all day long, too.

I would make Jeff stay home from school and would take any last requests from him (dinner, getting things ready for the kids, etc). I would hug and kiss him, never wanting to let him go.

I definitely wouldn't spend any time cleaning (unless, of course, Jeff requested it). And I doubt I'd get angry with any of them all day long.

My mind was whirling as I thought of all these things, and Damon stepped off the bus, happy to see me, but not quite the perfect son I had been remembering in my mind. When we got back home, the house still wasn't as clean as I wish it had been, but I was more okay with it. Allie woke up from her nap a little sad, and I held her a little longer than I normally would have. I was more patient with Kyla when she sat on the floor crying, waiting for me to pick her up.

Soon, though, everything was back to normal. I never did let the kids eat whatever they wanted or skip timeout just because I was feeling nice. I resumed my role as mom, doing the best that I can. And even though I know that I am not perfect (or even "almost" like Damon thinks I am), I'm the only mom they have. And I think they know that I love them. So, for today, that's enough. Fortunately, there's always tomorrow to work on being better.

15 comments:

brit said...

Sometimes parenting is so moment to moment, isn't it? I know they say all that jazz about clear boundaries....but I know EXACTLY what you mean...I can lose my mind one moment, believeing Im destroying them instead of bettering them....and then something simple happens to remind me that LOVE is so unpredicatable. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe we'll have cake for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Were you watching the one with Jennifer Love Hewitt.....I had the same sort of thoughts after watching it! The good news is...we aren't judged by what our last day is...it's what our everyday is!

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

first off- Good Job Damon!! Im very proud of him for being so Brave!!
next- Allie you are hilarious!! we were just talking about that the other day, and i told jonny "Oh she probably forgot about being scared of you!" She is funny.
Kyla- i love her chubby legs. we miss her!

and i defnitly with you on having a messy house and not feeling capable or good enough to do it.....i wish we didn't have to clean ever!

Holly Woolsey said...

Wouldn't it be so nice to never have to worry about cleaning! I wish we could wave a magic wand and have it done for us! I can't believe Damon taught himself the piano! Awesome! "You should see the other guy" how funny! Allie is cute

Holly Woolsey said...

Wouldn't it be so nice to never have to worry about cleaning! I wish we could wave a magic wand and have it done for us! I can't believe Damon taught himself the piano! Awesome! "You should see the other guy" how funny! Allie is cute

Malinovka said...

Thanks for giving us the chance to put things in perspective again. I think I try to do that every night when I think I wasn't ever patient enough and I needed to hold my kids longer. What a great reminder that we are the only mom our kids have got. Thanks for being such a great example, Krystal. Love your posts.

Robyn

Greg and Tammy said...

WOW on the Damon video! Has he considered starting an acappela boy band? :) And although the black eye is sad for Allie - the line you taught her is PRECIOUS. Thanks for the story of the "last day" - it helps keep things in perspective, huh? Speaking of, I have a little 6 week old that is calling my name as I write... gotta jet. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

One of my friends who has 2 sets of twins has the best saying in her kitchen. It's hanging on the wall and says,"I might have sticky floors and messy counters, but at least I have happy kids" (or something along those lines.) Everytime I pick up my daughter I kiss her soft cheeks. It helps remind me to appreciate how little she is and how much she needs me. I try to still kiss Gabe, but he just runs from me.

Patti said...

One thing I love about the gospel is that I can find meaning in the mundane things like wiping off the counters for the 90 millionth time...I am doing the Lord's work as a mother. I am always reminded that the attitude with which I approach those tasks is what I ultimately am! I am with you, if I knew it would be my last day on earth I would try to love the breath out of my Lila :)

Anonymous said...

How cute are your kids....

Brian Adair Fam said...

Very good piano playing, Damon! Allie, you are way too cute. I'm sure "the other guy" is hurtin' bad! :0) Krystal, thank you so much for your post. I'm glad you can articulate so well how it is to be a parent. I feel the same way, but don't know how to explain it. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Law said...

Damon's performance at the talent show was short and sweet. I loved it. I definitely couldn't say that for all of performances that evening. Thanks for helping me out so much this week with Mimi. You are a dear friend and I hope I can do the same for you before you are out of here.

Heather B said...

Great job Damon! And I love Kyla's makeup. And I can't believe Allie still doesn't like Jonny. :) Well, what can ya do. That was a good story you told...that perspective helps alot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie had a problem with wetting the bed for a long time and I would give her a bannana before she when to bed. Maybe some of it was in her head but it did help.

Becky Seymour said...

That was just what I needed to read today Krystal! And your mom is right, if you wrote a book, there would be millions of mothers and wives that would read it and feel like they can keep moving on another day, even when everything in the world seems DIRTY!

Love yoU!