At what age can I start leaving my kids in the car while I run an errand?
Scenario: I needed to stop at CVS to get milk. It is $3.99 there (not on sale this week, dang it) and I'm hoping to save myself $.80 or so by not getting it from the grocery store. I pass CVS taking a neighbor girl home from school. My three kids are in the back of the van, and Allie has fallen asleep because she hasn't taken a nap. After dropping neighbor girl off, I stop at CVS. I am only going to run in for a couple of minutes, grab two gallons of milk, and come right back out. Oh, I am going to pay for them, too. Damon is 5 years 7 months old. Can I leave them in the car?
I know the answer to that. And I didn't leave them in the car, so you can stop dialing child services and hang up the phone. I thought about it (briefly), then woke Allie up, got all the kids out of the van, and put the two girls in a cart. Damon pushed while I grabbed the milk and headed back to the van. After paying for it, of course. I think it took as much time (if not more) to get the kids in and out of the van than to actually buy the milk. And now it has got me wondering, how many more years of this do I have to look forward to? How old does my oldest need to be before it doesn't seem negligent to leave him alone in the car with the other kids? 7? 8? Just curious what you think about that. And at what age can I leave him alone with the kids at home so that I can go to the grocery store (another post for another day...)?
16 comments:
In Utah it is 12 years old same in Colo. You can leave one alone when you think they are old enough to be alone but can't be with other children.
Now I am going trough it with Jaxan. Wish I could just run in. Not so bad with just one right.
WHat a hassle...
I see kids in the car all the time out here at the post office, pharmecy, etc... and wish I wasnt to chicken to leave my kids...
especially in the winter.
I remember HATING it when my mom would leave me in charge of the kids in the car. I'd make everybody hide under blankets so people wouldn't see us and call the cops. I don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon, even though it would be SO much easier and faster!
I hadn't even thought about that time since it seems like such a long way off, but it is a happy thought! Good for you for stopping to get the milk. I probably would have just gone home!
Oh, I hate that scenerio. It is such a pain to get everyone out of the car for such a small errand! I guess we still have years of it ahead of us right?!
I didn't leave mine till just recently at home and then it's only for quick milk runs, etc. Now I can leave them for a couple of hours....but we team up. Girls in charge of girls, boys to boys. Our numbers make it handy! I feel your pain.
I see moms leave their young kids who are strapped into car seats while they run their older kids into preschool... I've never been brave enough, but I have gone into great harvest to buy bread with my kids in the car. The front of the store is glass and so I can see them the entire time I'm in there...
I would have left them--Maybe taken KyKy, and possibly Damon but if Allie was asleep I'm 98% sure I would have left her. Seriously, what a pain. Don't tell anyone, but back when it was me, Ty and the TRUCK, I left him in the car once or twice (while he was sleeping) to drop off a UPS package, or get a snow cone at the BEST little stand in Jax (you know the one)... I completely understand the dilema!
Call me a bad mom, but if I can see my van through the window and it's less than five minutes the kids stay in the car.
My SIL has left her napping baby to run an errand- that's a little too risky for me although I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.
It never crossed my mind until just last week so it is so funny you brought it up. I just finally got sick of running errands that should take 2 minutes that turn into 30 minutes because of kids. I went to the library and thought, I am just picking up books on hold can't the kids stay in the car. I wish it was that easy. I don't think I will be leaving them until they are old enough to babysit which is what like 12. I generally just skip what needs to be done because I hate getting kids in and out of the car and I only have two.
I've been dreaming of drive through grocery shopping as of late ... and I only have ONE. Good on ya' for saving the 80 cents. Next time give me a ring and I'll send you the dollar to avoid you the hassle. :) Much Love...
((((When I said my SIL left her napping baby, I meant AT HOME (alone) while she ran to the grocery store)))))
i do that too in front of great harvest...if i can get a spot right in front and i can see them the whole time through the window.
it's so tempting, but then i always tell myself, is it worth it? what if something did happen...evan lets himself out and gets killed by a car or someone else gets in and takes one of them...
i have no idea how old...maybe middle school age or even high school! i'm so paranoid about this stuff...they just arrested an Upper Arlignton high school teacher for bothering a girl at school...i mean there is no escape no matter where you live!
hey CVS is a drive through!! i would just say hey can you get me a gallon of milk i got 3 kids and it would really help me out a lot!!! you can pay for other things than just meds at the pharmacy!
i did that at the pet shop the other day, both kids were sleeping and i couldn't browse through the store, i parked in front and went in and found a worker near the door and said hey i need these things can you go get them for me!
I'm the mom that Amber said leaves the kids in the care while dropping off at preschool. Bad I know. I lock the car and my windows are tinted. i don't leave them when they are awake -- together at least, they would try to drive off or get out or something. So, don't feel bad for just thinking about it. Nice to know there is an exact age though for most states. In case your into keeping the law or something! :)
I have left Hunter alone in the car a few times because he just doesn't want to come with me and a few times I have left Ayla with him. I wish it weren't 12. When the kids are sleeping and buckled up and the doors are locked, what is going to happen in 5 minutes. The thing is I always feel guilty afterward. If something did happen then I would never forgive myself, so I try really hard to resist the temptation. The worst for me is waking Ayla up every day to go get Sienna from Preschool. It only takes me 15 minutes, but by waking her up I cut her nap an hour short.
Post a Comment