Wednesday night was a rough night for Kyla (Monday and Tuesday hadn't been great, either). She had been coughing like a seal for a few days, but developed a fever Wednesday. After I got home from my date with Allie, I woke her up to feed her before going to bed. She threw up on me, and acted plain miserable.
Neither of us slept much that night. She was breathing so fast, really laboring, and couldn't seem to get comfortable. I thought it might be easier for her to breathe if I was holding her upright, so I spent a lot of the night in the recliner trying to make her comfortable. Nothing worked, and I couldn't sleep with her breathing so loudly on me, so I ended up back in my bed listening to her restless sleep. Thursday I took her in to the doctor and he decided it was probably something viral (croup usually is, and since that is what I thought she had anyway, I wasn't surprised). her fever had gone down and she was actually acted much happier, but because of her rapid breathing he decided to start her on some breathing treatments. We give them to her every 4-6 hours and she seems to be doing much better. She is coughing a lot more (a good sign, if you ask me) and hasn't had a fever in days. Damon even likes helping out if she'll let him.
So, we thought we were doing better and I slept pretty good Friday and Saturday (although Ky Ky was waking up more often than usual, one night even messing her diaper at around 3:00 am). But last night was horrible, and it was due to daughter #1. She woke up at about 3:30 crying about a scary dream she was having. I tried many things over the next couple of hours, but she couldn't seem to get control of herself enough to fall asleep. She wanted to get in bed with us, but that wasn't going to happen. Jeff and I decided when we got married that our kids would never sleep with us. There were a few reasons, such as no one really sleeps when a child is thrashing around, but we never have let our kids sleep with us. I gave Allie four options: she could sleep in her bed, she could get in bed with Damon (who was awake and begging her to stop crying), she could sleep on the couch, or she could lay on our floor. There was something wrong with all options, according to her, and she drifted from one to the other without making a decision. It must have been 5:00 (and after many tears) that she finally went back to her bed and went to sleep. At 6:00, Kyla woke up hungry and I practically slept walked into her room. She went back to sleep, though, thankfully. Needless to say, it was a bad night for everyone. And today hasn't been a picnic either, with a sleep deprived Allie to deal with. Cross your fingers for a better night tonight and a more patient mommy to deal with her the rest of today.
Here are a couple more shots of her shiner, which is pretty much gone now. Although I may have been tempted to give her another one last night when she wouldn't stop crying, she made it through without any bodily harm (not even a thump on the head from Jeff).
We've decided that we're not going to make her take naps anymore. She is trying to make the transition, but hasn't quite got there yet. On days she does take a nap, she doesn't fall asleep until 9:30 or 10:00, yet she seems to still need a nap most days (she'll often fall asleep in the car around 5:00 if she hasn't had a nap). I'm trying to compromise by letting her take a "rest," or stay in her room for an hour reading books and listening to music so I can have some peace and quiet myself. We'll see how this goes...
As a side note, Allie asked if we could take her hair elastics out while we were waiting to see the doctor with Kyla. I asked her why. "I want Dr Joyner to see my long hair," she said. What kind of child do I have on my hands?
Okay. I know I got "bag tagged" a while back, but have been avoiding posting because mine is ever so boring. If you haven't seen this going around, someone tags you to take a picture of the contents of your purse and post it on your blog. Here's mine:
- My $3 planner from Costco
- My wallet
- My cell phone
- My mp3 player
- A tiny notepad
- Flavored lip gloss from Bath and Body (an item Allie covets)
- gum
- 2 mustard packets (not sure why those were there)
- baggie with cheerios
- empty baggie
- 2 diapers
- wipes
- medicine dropper
Told you it was boring. I tag anyone who hasn't done this and has any interest at all in cleaning out a purse (how about you, Lindsay?). Okay, my hour of "me time" is passing quickly, so I am off. I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns if you're interested in reading my take on it. I'm probably not going to post when I have written a book review, so if you care about reading reviews, I hope you have added my book blog to your google reader (and if you don't use google reader, which tells you when blogs have been updated, you should!).
11 comments:
Croup is the worst... I hate not sleeping - it makes me such a miserable wreck. I will cross my fingers that everyone gets healthy for you so you can get a good nights rest!
Good luck with the nap situation too. Fun stuff
Amber
Exhaustion does something NASTY to us, doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear about your sleepless nights. Give me a call sometime when you're up - I probably am too. :) BTW, Great idea about the one on one time. We'll have to remember that when we have more than one. Love you guys and love reading about your lives!
oh man, we are having some sleepless night at our house too thanks to colds and flus...
I feel terrible and grumpy and that makes for a mean mom.
ANd your purse is clean!!! I wouldnt even want to go there with mine...
I have four words for you and I've done it and it's fine....
"one dropper of nyquil". You are GUARANTEED a better week. It's like resetting them!
Kyla's little sad face is so sad! Having sick kids is the hardest. I hope everything gets back to normal quickly!
That made me tired just reading it! How do you even stay nice when your kids are sick and you aren't getting any sleep? I'm sorry. I hope things calm down soon. BTW, what is google reader? It tells you when someone posts on their blog? I need to do this. What do I do?
Oh, I forgot to tell you I read Thousand Splendid Suns. I liked it, although what a depressing life for women in Afgahnistan. How do I read your review?
We have had the same sleep situation. I get up in the morning feeling like I never went to bed. My daughter will not sleep in her bed anymore because she's been sick/teething at the same time and screams to sleep in ours. Kyle let her because he can't tell her no, so you've made a good choice about not letting them sleep in your bed. She's a total thrasher/rib kicker/throat jabber and it drives me nuts. And now I must go take a 3 minute nap...because we all know that's how long it will last! ;) Good luck!
On top of your hectic week wit sick and sleepless kids, you've taken care of my fam too. You are amazing and btw, I agree with the no sharing your bed with the kids rule. They only have the option to either sleep on the floor next to us or go back to their own bed. You are much nicer than we are. They usually end up with the first choice and are very happy with it. I won't be doing the purse tag, I have a hard time with just doing the others that have stacked up against me. sorry
Oh, I hope Kyla is feeling better soon. Austin is finally over his 3 weeks of being sick. Not fun. I definitely feel your pain. I also know exactly what you mean about the nap thing. We're trying to figure that one out with Paige also. Good luck with it!!
Wow! I am so glad to be done with breathing treatments! I really hope Kyla's work the first time around so she doesn't have to go through another round like McKenna did. It looks like she is really good about taking them which is soooo lucky. I'm going to go check your other blog to see how you liked Splendid Suns--miss you!
Post a Comment