
Here's Mark and me at Preference, the night we first kissed. Could I have invested in a nice self tanner? Sure. But that wouldn't leave us much to laugh about now, would it?

- Girls told me all the time how jealous they were that I was dating him. In high school, you know that validation means so much.
- He was an awesome baseball player. I loved going to watch him, and was so happy that he was winking at me between innings.
- He would do anything for me. I know that was true. One Friday, I was stuck at school after a softball game. Heather must have taken the car home, not knowing I didn't have a ride. I was trying to figure out how I was going to get home, when Tyler showed up (he lived close to the school). He said he had been trying to find me and my mom told him I might need a ride home. He drove me home (about 20 minutes away), asking me what my plans were for later that night. I told him I had made plans with some of my girlfriends, feeling a little guilty. He wasn't upset; he wasn't disappointed. He just told me to have fun. What a great guy.
- He was proud to be with me. He made a t-shirt with my number on it and wore it to basketball games (where we didn't have that many fans). He always told me how great I was, even when I wasn't. He was so supportive. He also surprised me by showing up in Heber at an all-star game I was playing in. It was several hours out of his way.
- He was respectful of me. Even though I heard he cussed a lot on the baseball field, I never heard him swear. That meant a lot to me. He also waited about five months before he kissed me, because he knew it scared me (that makes me laugh to think about now--I was so anti-NCMO in favor of an actual relationship that I freaked myself out. I can't believe he put up with me).
He was just the best. Senior year was the best. Here we are at Preference,

Senior Ball (the night he first kissed me),

and Graduation.

The summer after senior year was the best. Then real life started. Tyler got his mission call to Argentina and I left for BYU. He told me that he loved me and hoped I would still be around when he got home (he didn't ask me to wait for him, let that be known!). I was crushed when he left. And lonely. And preemies (Pre-Missionaries) at BYU were safe...
I met Randy Hunter about a month after Tyler left. He was in my freshman ward, living in Helaman Halls. He was so much fun, and took my mind off of being so sad all the time. It was nice not to be alone (I was never one to just play the field, can you tell? I needed to be in a relationship!). We dated from about November to April, with our ups and downs. He knew I had a missionary, I knew he was getting ready to go on a mission, so really there was no reason for any kind of commitment. He told me that he loved me, which left me feeling entirely conflicted, as I couldn't say it back. We broke up in April, and I realized that I was a lot more emotionally invested in him than I would have guessed. He offered to fly me to Oregon (Brookings, his hometown) for his mission farewell, and I decided to go. Here's Randy and me on the Heber Creeper. This was the first time...okay, not the first time he kissed me. That was a couple weeks later.

In the meantime, Jake was getting ready to leave on his mission. He and I had managed to become really good friends during the years, and got really close right before he left. I even went with him and his family the night he got set apart (WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT??). He was sort of dating one of my friends from BYU, but it's obvious now, in hindsight, that he and I had something undefinable going on and I could never quite get him out of my heart. Of all the guys I dated in high school, he was the one I thought I would be most likely to marry. Timing is everything, and we certainly didn't have that. My biggest regret from high school is that I never kissed him. I think it would've been awesome.
Here's a major flashback that should've been in the last post. This is Jake and me at Preference when we were sophomores. Jaesi, I left Paul in the pic just for you!

Okay, back to Randy. I flew to Oregon with no expectations for what was to come, but what else was going to happen? Of course we got back together, I sent him on his mission, then headed back to BYU writing to Tyler, Jake and Randy. What a time that was.
Two months after Randy left, I met and dated my first RM. He was in my ward at BYU. I myself was planning on going on a mission, so I guess that made RM's safe. Jeff was an amazing person, and everything I was looking for in a man. He was smart, like Mark, athletic, like Tyler, musical, like Jake, and fun, like Randy. I just wasn't ready to meet him then. I thought I should just stay single for a while, and not get my heart involved in something else.

I failed miserably. I started falling for him. It was hard not to. He was everything I'd ever wanted. Last year, for Valentine's Day, I wrote about our story, so I'm not going to go through it all again here. It took a lot of doing, but I finally realized that I couldn't live without him. I decided that all of my missionaries, and a mission myself, were not much to sacrifice when I had Jeff on the other side. Choosing him was the best decision I ever made. And I honestly believe that all the boys I loved throughout my life helped me to see that. From Kylen to Clint and Brent to Tyler, I began piecing together a picture of what my eternal companion would be like. And so, when Jeff came along, I was able to recognize that he was the one I had been looking for.
I'm sure there will be future posts dedicated to my sweetie (I will dig out wedding pictures someday), but for this Valentine's Day I want to thank all the boys I ever loved (or crushed on), who helped make me the person Jeff fell in love with. I owe you one. Love you Jeff! Seven (plus) years later and never been happier. Happy Valentine's Day all!
12 comments:
I love all these love stories, and all the pics!
Great pictures, that really made part III best of all. I didn't know some of those things about Tyler. He really was awesome. All your guys were...but you're right, Jeff's the BEST!
It's been so fun to play catch up on your life through the blog. I didn't know any of those stories but I actually recognized and knew of most of the guys in the pictures. Thanks for sharing. I wish I knew Jeff, but I will take your word that he is the BEST one of them all! Happy V-Day!
It's been so fun to play catch up on your life through the blog. I didn't know any of those stories but I actually recognized and knew of most of the guys in the pictures. Thanks for sharing. I wish I knew Jeff, but I will take your word that he is the BEST one of them all! Happy V-Day!
What a GREAT post, as usual.
I love the pictures...yes you certainly got the best man (the little that I know of him) but I do remember coming to your wedding reception and thinking "holy cow, thats what I want" (the love you could see)
And look and my husband....HAHAHAHA!!!
those were great pics. Thanks for the stories.
I love reading about all the past loves....especially since I know them. Wow...you dated some hotties! Isn't it great to be able to look back and laugh and know you came out on top???
The pictures are great! Now I can't wait to see your wedding pics! I tried to get a RS activity going where we all brought our wedding pictures and ate wedding cake, etc...but it was a no-go. Doesn't anyone else love wedding pictures as much as me?!? Oh, well...maybe we can get everyone to post them on their blogs instead. ;)
I can't believe you remember all of this stuff. I can hardly remember any of the guys from college let alone high school. Oh wait a minute I didn't date in high school. :) That's why. It was fun to read all of this.
wow! you've got guts girl! i'm pretty sure bill would get so super jealous if i talked about all of my past relationships! :) you're so hilarious! i totally forgot that you even dated randy... how funny! well, you and jeff make such a great looking couple! hopefully someday i'll get to meet him and your cute kids!
I haven't read yet, just looked at the pics! It seriously took me 2 minutes to find you in the first pic. You look soooo different. I love it! Maturity I guess. You look a lot like Kimmy and Tara.
Post a Comment