Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Those" Days

Yesterday was one of those days.

No, I mean one of "those" days. The one that occurs with regularity every month. You know the kind I'm talking about. You wake up in a bad mood. A small grouping of pimples pops up in a localized area of your face. Your body aches all over, and you hope you can sleep in an extra half hour to shorten the day somewhat. But your baby wakes up at 6:30 and stands in her bed yelling, "Allie!," and so you have to jump up and get her, lest she wake up your less-than-chipper-in-the-early-morning three year old. That's when you notice that your patience is already shot and you've only been out of bed for 30 seconds. Oh yes, it's going to be one of "those" days.

You would think that my family would be able to recognize the signs, and steer clear. But for some reason, they seem oblivious. On one of "those" days, Kyla should know that when she starts whining at 8:30 in the morning, she's going to end up back in bed. Allie should know that I'm not going to react well when she starts throwing a fit, deliberately unfolding all the clothes I have just folded. She should be expecting the force in which she was yanked into timeout, and not seem shocked to be handled so roughly. She should also know that when I tell her I am sick to death of reading "Dr. DeSoto goes to Africa" that she's not going to talk me into reading it. There's just no point in arguing. And the discussion is probably going to end with me tossing the book across the room.

Damon should know that when he wants a treat after dinner, and I tell him I need him to help me clean up, he should just zip his mouth and help, instead of whining and complaining. He shouldn't be too surprised when his after dinner treat gets yanked from him without discussion. And Jeff really should know better. He should realize that telling me it's going to cost more than a dollar in gas to drive to Maverik to return my movie is not what I want to hear when all I really want to do is get out. He should know better than to tell me I'm talking to him like a two-year old as I try to explain to him where my checkbook is. But somehow, he missed the signs, too, and had to ask, "what is going on with you?"

That's when I decided. I need a sign around my neck, something to give everyone who comes within 50 feet of me fair warning. Maybe it could say something like, "Mom's Raging," or "Proceed with Extreme Caution." But Allie and Kyla can't read, and it might not be fair to them not to be warned. So, maybe I could just lock the bedroom door, answering all knocks with, "take care of yourself today!" But that would leave Allie in charge, and that could only mean disaster. So I've decided. I think I will wear my Wicked shirt. That's something everyone should be able to recognize, and easily understand. And with any luck, it will ONLY be once a month that I have one of "those" days.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Well-expressed, Krystal. We all have those days. Good idea about the Wicked shirt, I may have to get myself one of those.

Welcome said...

Yeah!! You are a real mom. And I thought I was the only one who had those days. Really what is it with those days anyway? I wish I lived by you. When we were having a bad day we could send up a flare and come to rescue one another.

Anonymous said...

So true. I'm looking for a Halloween shirt that says "The Witch is In." I've seen them on a broom for the front porch, but if I bought that then I'd be expected to clean with it.

Greg and Tammy said...

Oh I'm so glad other people get into that kind of "mood". I think mine came on Thursday as well. Maybe it was the Sept. 11th vibe or something? Or maybe just that Emma did not sleep well the night before?? Let's just say mine ended up with a hamburger patty being thrown violently to the floor ... yes... by me. Thanks for keeping your blog real! Love the soccor pic of Damon and the new yellow crib courtesy of Allie. Lovely. :)

Morgan said...

Okay, so my husband's mom and dad figured this system out when all the kids were pre-teen age. This worked well until all the kids left the home. My MIL had a BAD BAD BAD case of PMS. They had 3 "Mrs. Dash" lids, one green, one red, and one yellow. There would always be one on the mantle. Green meant that it was okay to speak to mom. Yellow meant to proceed with caution. Red meant to turn your booty back out of the house and don't even come near mom.

Anyway, I am not suggesting that your case is THAT bad...EVERYBODY has "those" days. The Wicked shirt is a pretty good sign of them! :)

I hope today is better.

Christina Mangelson said...

Krystal you are awesome. I love your blog because you are real. My wonderful day came Sunday at 6 a.m with all of my children awake and Jeremy in Idianapolis until Friday. So I think this day will continue all week! Fun Huh! Check out my blog and you can see Dave & Tia. They are getting married on Dec 20 in St. George.

Reba said...

Ugh. I just had one of those days today. I swear if anyone else asks me "Why?" . . .

Sarah said...

Ditto should explain it for me!

Cassie L. said...

It's Alexander!! And his terrible, no good, very bad day!! Too bad we all have them. And too bad mine happen so often when I am pregnant. And husbands should soooo know better, don't you think??