A while back, my friend Joni posted about how sometimes we beat ourselves up over not accomplishing our resolutions. Well, about how we sometimes beat ourselves up over anything, really. To start the year off, she posted five things she liked about herself, and challenged everyone else to think about what they liked about themselves. I have been thinking a lot about that, especially at this time of hugeness when I don't like much about myself physically, and I thought I would borrow her idea.
So, here are five things I like about myself.
1. I am dependable. If I say I'll do something, it will get done.
2. I am a loyal friend. That is part of my BLUE nature. If I make a connection with someone, I know that it will last a lifetime. I may not be the best friend, but I always care and try hard to let my friends know that.
3. I am optimistic. I don't have a hard time seeing the good in most situations.
4. I believe the best in people. This can also be to my detriment, and would probably be the one thing keeping me from winning Survivor. I want to believe that everyone is good and honest and give them the benefit of the doubt.
5. I love learning. I know I am not the best mom, and my kids could probably easily thrive somewhere else, but I love that they love learning, too. We love visiting the library, and I am constantly trying to explain things to them so they can understand. Jeff said I treat them like little adults (and that it's not always a positive thing), but as I watch them learn and grow, I feel like it is something I am good at.
So, there you have it. It wasn't all THAT difficult to come up with five things. Of course it would be much easier to come up with five things I don't like about myself, but that is beside the point. I want to challenge you all to think of things you like about yourselves, too. Just as Joni did, if you leave me a comment containing just one thing you like about yourself, I will respond with something I like about you, too. And if you can think of more than one thing you like about yourself, post it on your blog, and let's keep the good feelings flowing. It will be like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Compliments.
Oh, and one thing I wanted to record for the future. Kyla climbed in bed with me one morning and told me that she had a dream that she "jumped in the cool (pool) and there were three alligators, named Elonia, Eclonia and Estonia" that tried to bite her. Later, she told me there was a fourth alligator named Emmonia. I don't know where she came up with that, but I thought it was pretty funny.
6 comments:
Oooh, I'm always up for a challenge.
I feel like I am good at eliciting stories from other people - their personal histories you might say.
Heather, I love that about you too. But it goes so much farther beyond just "eliciting stories." You truly care about people and make everyone feel like they are incredibly talented and worthwhile. An amazing friend to have, and someone people LOVE to be around.
That is SO funny about Kyla's alligators! So, one thing I like about myself is that I am really good about remembering people's birthdays. I still remember people's birthdays from years and years ago, like Harold Haynie's is January 12th, and Shonna Hinton's is December 2, and Jeff and Jake Madsen's are both on the 23rd of September. (There, aren't you glad i shared all that with you?)
And to keep the goodness flowing YOUR way, I LOVE that you are such a great reader and learner (and teacher, that benefits me all the time). Your example has affected me more times in my life than I can count. So thanks! Love ya!
Heather B, my dearest, I can't imagine my life without you. I love that birthdays mean so much to you, yours and everyone around you! I also love how our minds are in sync. And no one would ever let us be on the same team in Taboo, because we whooped them all. And that we love so many of the same things. I love you!
Great post....I think everyone should do this every now and then.
Kyla should write a childrens book.
My kids favorite book in the world is about an Alligator. Oh wait a crocodile....The Christmas Crocodile.
Same diff.
Well, first I get a bye because I am the founder of this concept. (guffaw)
I just wanted to say AWESOME that you carried it on and also the reason I would lose Survivor is becuase I'm a big wuss.
Post a Comment