Today Damon graduated from preschool. My mom and sister took Damon and Allie to his graduation ceremony (which was the classes singing a couple of songs and getting presented with a certificate of achievement before the procession outside). I'm sad that I missed it, but Kimmy video taped it so I could watch. A couple weeks ago Damon had his picture taken in cap and gown and how could I resist this picture?
Here are Damon and Isaac holding their "diplomas."In other news, we're doing good here at home. Kyla had a rough start (she didn't sleep very well at all in the hospital, and consequentially, neither did I), but has loved being home. She has slept in her bed the last two nights and has had at least one stretch of three hours uninterrupted both nights. That is a big improvement for us and I am feeling much more capable during the day.
Here are some things that have been on my mind. Things I don't love about having a new baby:
1. Lack of sleep. It's hard being tired all the time and having no idea what to expect, but
2. The sore body. From the contracting uterus every time you nurse to the other pains you feel when the pain medication wears off, having a baby is hard on the body.
3. The adjustment of a milk to baby ratio. I would actually take the sore body over the sore chest any day. Kyla is a good nurser, but she can't even begin to keep up with the milk I am producing right now. And it is painful!
4. Every time I sit down to eat, babies think they should be eating too. You start thinking that it's not a meal without a baby on your lap.
But here are some things that I love about having a new baby:
1. Snuggling with a newborn. I know they have no choice because they can't even hold their own heads up, but it's so much fun to have a tiny baby fall asleep on your shoulder.
2. The facial expressions. Kyla has smiled at us a few times, and even though I'm not 100% convinced she knows what she is doing, it is the sweetest thing.
3. The way they recognize voices. Kyla has turned to look for Damon a couple of times when she hears him laugh. We don't need a hearing test to tell us that she has been listening to us for the past several months.
4. The incredible feeling of love you get when you are taking care of this tiny, helpless person. There are a lot of emotions that come with having a baby, but love is the strongest of them all. I am amazed at how much love I feel, not only for the baby, but for all my kids. It's awesome.
Okay, here is a pic of the three kids. Allie has liked having a baby (she "wants to hold it" occasionally), although she has enjoyed the baby's swing 10 times more. Damon, though, has been so loving and has held the baby several times a day since we've been home. It makes me a little crazy how he keeps sniffing her and always has to be right up in her face, but I love that he loves her and I really try to encourage him to love her hands and feet more than anything.
2 comments:
Okay, THOSE are the cutest pictures ever!!!!!!! The one of all three kids is just too darling. And I love Damon's cap and gown and stuff, how fun. And Kyla...that is SO sweet that she recognizes Damon's voice and laugh and stuff. Thanks for helping prepare me for "postpardum" life...I didn't realize some of those things would happen. Well, love ya!
love the pics. having kyla in there make allie and damon seem so big!!
Post a Comment