Monday, May 14, 2007

One of those days...

I know you have all had them...days when you are counting down the hours until you can put your kids in bed and just relax!! Today was a rough day for me as a mom and I'm glad it will not be the only day I am judged on in my lifetime. I had a lot of stuff I needed to get done today so I never got dressed, but wore b-ball shorts and my Survivor buff all day long. Of course, the kids were not very cooperative and made things much more difficult than they needed to be. Here are some of the highlights from today:

1. Both kids waking up at 2:00 am (Allie with bad dreams and Damon with no sympathy) and not letting me get back to sleep for at least an hour.

2. Damon making "pathways" from his bedroom throughout the family room with books from his bookshelf (I cleaned that one up).

3. Allie running topless down the street to the house on the corner where the sprinklers were on while I was putting laundry in the washer (she ran faster when she saw me chasing her).

4. Damon and Allie spilling a third of a box of Cheerios on the porch outside (Damon cleaned that one up).

5. Allie running down the street naked while I changed the laundry (again, I had to run full speed after her, which is probably why I am so sore tonight. Also, full speed for a 38 week pregnant woman is not much faster than Allie's full speed, which is why she kept getting so far away from me).

6. Allie spilling her cereal all over the floor and slipping on the milk (I cleaned that one up after Allie tried to clean it up).

7. Allie sitting in timeout for running away from me and somehow (HOW DOES SHE DO IT?) finding a bottle of purple nail polish and dumping it all over the carpet. Does anyone have any good secrets on how to get nail polish out of the carpet? I used some remover but the fumes were getting to me so I switched to hydrogen peroxide and got a bunch out. I also tried Shout and carpet cleaner, but after my hour or so of scrubbing, there is still a huge purple stain on the carpet.

8. Allie dripping her milk all over the leather chair in the family room (she cleaned that one up).

9. Damon dumping Allie's dinner all over the floor (I cleaned that one up).

10. Allie opening the geckos' cage and trying to spray them with water (I was relieved when Jeff got home and told me that he had moved the geckos and they weren't in that cage anymore--the last thing any of us need is for Allie to get salmonella).

11. Damon cutting out coupons for me and leaving his mess all over the table (he cleaned that one up).

12. (The REAL highlight of the day) Allie taking a three-hour nap. I don't know when the last time she did that was, but it was heavenly. Unfortunately, I fell asleep for part of the time and spent the rest of it scrubbing the carpet so I didn't get as much done as I could have, but I think it was a tender mercy of Heavenly Father because he obviously knew how close I was to locking her in her room for the entire afternoon.

Some days are just not fun as a mother, and I find myself thinking How in the world am I going to handle three? The answer to that is probably "not very well." It's not long now until we find that out. Especially if I have to keep chasing Allie down the street in various amounts of clothing. Honestly, if I don't got into labor tonight it will be a miracle. Or another tender mercy. Take your pick.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

Whew, what a day! I'm tired just hearing about it! I'm sorry I don't know how to get polish out of carpet. Confession though, don't be mad, but I had to laugh at the thought of you chasing down Allie...twice...what a little pill!! The mental picture was hilarious though. Hang in there...you'll adjust to a third just like you adjusted to a second, right? :)