Friday, June 29, 2007

Music Outtage

About a week or two before Kyla was born, the stereo in our van shorted out, and since it was less than a year old, it was still under warranty from Panasonic. We sent it in to get fixed and it finally was returned to us earlier this week. If you are trying to do the math in your head, I'll save you the trouble and just tell you--we were without music of any kind in the van for over a month. It was strange, and not as quiet as you may think. Because there was nothing to listen to, Damon and Allie seemed to find twice (or three times) as many things to fight over. It was miserable to put it lightly, and the day the stereo was returned to us in the mail was a day of great rejoicing for all of us.

Now, though, after a month of silence, I am desperately trying to catch up with all that I missed during our music fast. I went as far as to record VH1's top 20 videos just so I could reacquaint myself with the music world. Most of the songs I skipped (maybe I'm getting old, because I just don't appreciate a lot of the popular music these days, and I can't handle most of the music videos), but there were some songs I recognized and even liked. The top two songs were Daughtry's "Home" and Elliott Yamin's "Wait for You." As a fan of American Idol, it's no surprise that I was happy to see that. Also, Kelly Clarkson ("Never Again") and Carrie Underwood ("Before He Cheats") were on the countdown, so that's not bad for the old idols.

Today, as we were running errands, Damon listened to, and tried to sing, Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend." I admit, it is very catchy, but some of the lyrics just made me gulp, as I thought of them coming out of my sweet little boy's mouth. It's amazing how having kids has changed the way I think about music. I regretfully admit that I now understand why my mom objected to a lot of the songs I used to listen to (the one that comes to mind is "Strawberry Wine," still one of my all time favorites). I can't decide how I feel about this, as it makes me wonder when I became such a mom. I always thought that when my kids were teenagers I would be so much cooler than my was and that I would know what music they were listening to because I would like it, too. I'm beginning to realize that the likelihood of this happening is rapidly dwindling, as I jab the buttons on the stereo in frustration, trying to find something we can all listen to comfortably.

Country music is both a little better and a little worse. Some songs are great and fairly objection free, but you also have to deal with songs that talk about checking each other for ticks and ridiculous subjects like that. I have to admit, I really miss the days of NSYNC and The Backstreet Boys, Destiny's Child and Mandy Moore. The transition from "Bye Bye Bye" and "Candy" to "Rehab" and "Buy U a Drank" (both songs on Billboard's top 10) was much too quick for me.

And so, it is with somewhat of a heavy heart, that I admit to myself, my children, and those few of you who are reading this, that I am not going to be a cool mom; I'm going to be like all parents before me, complaining about how the best days, musically and otherwise, are behind us. I figure that since I am admitting this now, while my kids are still young, I will be able to fully accept the role of "crotchety old mom who just doesn't get it" by the time Damon turns 15.

For now, though, if any of you have a favorite song right now that you think I may not have heard of (pretty good chance there), feel free to enlighten me.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

Hey! Nice...under warranty. That's great! I haven't heard Elliot Yamin's song yet, I'll have to check it out. I have heard a song called Hey There Delilah by...(have to look it up) Plain White T. It's catchy and clean and I just love it for some reason. That's the only song I like these days. Let me know what you think.
(p.s. I think I'm also starting to know where mom was coming from about the "objectable" line in Strawberry Wine. And for one so anti- it makes sense.