They filled the tub to the brim (the water was still on in this picture, and you can't see the inch of water on the ground that had flowed over the top), trying to sail their boats they had made at a birthday party the day before. Actually, they were only sailing Allie's, because I had told them that the water would ruin them and they wouldn't be able to play with them once they got wet, a fact Damon "forgot" to share with Allie.
The moment I walked into the bathroom to find this scene, I realized that my talk was about as good as it was going to get, and I quickly shifted my frame of mind to actually taking care of my kids. Unfortunately for Allie, her last clean pair of underwear were on the floor that was covered with water and I was left with a couple of choices: 1. have her go commando. In a dress. Definitely out. 2. Wear a pair of Damon's boxers. 3. Wear her swimsuit bottoms under her dress. We opted for choice #3 (if you're wondering why I didn't put her in some of Damon's old briefs, the answer to that would be that they were all dirty, too, as Allie had been wearing them days before).
So, we got ready for church with only minor complications (namely, Allie spilled the pan of ingredients I was putting into the bread maker on the floor--and all over my shoes--) and we headed to church. The bishop felt bad when he saw me walking in by myself, but I assured him that everything was fine and I would just sit in the congregation with the kids until it was my turn to speak (I was the last speaker, after the rest hymn). Allie blessed us all by sitting with Greg and Noel a few rows ahead of us, so I only had to deal with Damon and Kyla during the meeting. But when Kyla filled her diaper during the talk before the rest hymn, I knew I had to change her--and fast--so that I could make it back in time for my talk. I buzzed to the mother's lounge and wiped her the best that I could with the wipes I had in the bag, although they were so dried out I'm not sure they still qualified as "wet wipes" any longer. Praying in my heart, I finished (meaning, I removed the majority of the poop from her bum,, only leaving a little in her rolls), as the rest hymn started and I hurried back to the chapel, where our bishop's sweet wife met me in the foyer and demanded that I give her Kyla. No complaints there. Damon went to sit with Russ and Julie and I gathered my mostly-finished talk just as the hymn was ending. Phew, take a breath. I had 20 minutes to speak. Heaven help me.
I made it through. One of the comments I received (I shared the events of my whirlwind morning as the opening to my talk) was, "I can see that you need Jeff." Understatement of the week. Yes, how we missed our daddy.
Thankfully, now I am no longer playing the single mommy role (although a church meeting last night kept Jeff from seeing the kids before they went to bed) and the craziness has lessened dramatically. Jeff had a great time visiting his friends in AZ and I so wish I could've been there to hear the boys sing. I really do miss all the 259ers and wish we saw more of them (and their wives, of course). I asked him to bring me some cds home, but they didn't have any more Christmas ones. If anyone would like a 259 Christmas cd, let me know and I would be happy to burn one for you. Leave me a comment or send me an email (espyk@yahoo.com) and give me your address. I would love to send you a cd. Especially any of you "med wives" who are without your husbands far too much.
10 comments:
WHEW! That is a whole lotta craziness! I bet your talk was awesome. The tub picture was pretty funny. And I'd love a Christmas CD...
1644 young st apt b
hon, hi 96826
Thanks!
Your morning is hilarious, but only because it wasn't me!
I'm glad you survived the week! You are my Hero!! Your talk was amazing and I would have never guessed that you finished it up Sunday morning (except for the fact that you told me!!) I would like all copy of the 259 cds, but the Christmas one is a good start! I don't want to overwhelm you:) And I can give you some money for the cds, or just go pick some up for you. Let me know.
So when are all the 259 wives going to have their weekend off together? That's what I'm wondering. I'm still laughing about Damon taking the Capri Sun out of the trash, BTW.
I would totally love a cd! I have one of there other cd's and listen to it often! My favorite fireside EVER was the one they did when they came to Saint George! If they ever do another one, please let me know!!!
As far as single parenting goes, it sounds like you did good (even with all the trauma!) I live at home for this purpose :-)
Wow. Great job surviving your "single mother" week. Everything always goes "not as planned" when daddy's not home, doesn't it?!? I wish I could have heard your talk. It sounds like you did a great job!
Wow, Krystal. Kudos for getting through all that! I feel the same way about being grateful that Eric isn't going to be a medical doctor. Even though this was an extreme case, it's nice to be reminded how much we need our husbands! :)
Wow! You really are supermom to be able to pull that off and still keep it all together! I love reading your blog, it's so entertaining! BTW- Happy Birthday!! Not sure when it was, but from Heather's blog I guess it was recently! Hope you had a great day!:)
So were you without Jeff for your birthday?
All you dentist wives amaze ME...I am just and engineer wife, and while the schooling is hard, I don't think it demands the hours that ortho does.
I would like a Christmas cd...I will just bring you a blank one sometime :)
yeah...when joe isn't home on Sundays I really have to convince myself to get to church...if you just get through sacrament then you have a couple hrs with out kids...
i love that you took a pic of them! and good thing you caught them before the water got too deep on the floor!!
daddy's are a nice thing!! joe's been off this week and the kids keep asking me, is daddy home again? it's great!
Post a Comment