Monday, March 03, 2008

Funky town

I'm in a sort of funk today. I'm not really sure why. I vacillate between being very easily annoyed and not particularly caring about anything. It's a strange state of mind, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. The "easily annoyed part" mostly centers around my sweet baby. She loves me, as I have previously mentioned, and tries to follow me around. It's fun--for a couple minutes. But when I am trying to do things (especially fold the laundry), it's annoying. This morning I plopped her down next to Allie and I could hear them playing so cute together. Until I walked into the room. Kyla immediately got a goofy grin on her face and dashed toward me (by "dashed," I mean rolled her body onto all fours and crawled as quickly as she could, reminiscent of the turtles that keep showing up outside our house). I tried to capture the sweetness of my girls playing together for once, but this is what I got, Kyla beginning her "dash." I think she may have a career in track and field ahead of her...

After picking Damon up from school today, we had to stop at the post office on an errand from Jeff (always fun with three kids) and I decided to run into Publix and do our weekly grocery shopping. I didn't have a long list (just 12 things) and since it is so close to the post office, decided I would go ahead. I dislike grocery shopping so much, but it must be done. While I love buying food, I hate watching the total climb higher and higher than I planned and I especially dislike dealing with the three kids who have gotten completely out of control.

For most of the shopping trip, I was rutted solidly in the "not caring" frame of mind, and it didn't really bother me when I had to take Allie and Damon to the bathroom or pull Allie from the cart kicking and screaming because she wanted to sit upside down. But an hours worth of shopping can get to you (why did it take so long, I was only going in for 12 things!!), and by the end, I couldn't shove cheerios in Kyla's mouth fast enough and Allie started complaining about having to hold the bread and started squishing it. I went from not caring to annoyed in 1.1 seconds and flicked Allie's ear from behind. Don't ask where that behavior comes from, it was a total gut reaction. I felt bad after because it was neither logical nor loving, which I am trying harder to be, and then slipped back into not caring again. Strange.

I hope I bust out of this funk soon. I have a lot of fun things to look forward to--Time Out for Women is in Tallahassee this weekend and I am so excited to take a trip with some of my favorite ladies for a great weekend. Too bad it's only Monday.

Speaking of funks, these books have shown up in the mail the past few weeks, all addressed to my hard-working honey. Can you tell by the titles that someone else is in a funk too and is counting down the days until he is finished with school?


UPDATE: I wrote this yesterday, but never published it because Blogger was having some troubles. I feel better this morning. Thank goodness for mornings.

9 comments:

Patti said...

I can't imagine grocery shopping with 3 kids. You are my hero.

jaesi said...

funky is right. But that picture of your girls with their grins is soooo darling! And is it this year your are finished? or next?

Jessica Law said...

Funk...isn't that the perfect word sometimes. Hard to keep a focused positive mind ALL THE TIME. We need time to be in a funk to appreciate ourselves more when we have it all together. (Unfortunately not too much of the time for me lately.) Glad to see you are human Krystal.

Lindsay said...

I'm SO excited about Time Out For Women. Our hotel rooms are booked and we have one driver (Daisy). I think we need one more. Check your email for details.

I am Laura said...

I feel like I am in that funk every day of my life. Wow! If I ever have three kids I will never go grocery shopping again. I rarely do it with the two. I just get milk and eggs once and a while and then live off what we can figure out and when I do go it takes hours because I stock up so much. I know it is no fun to have your baby love you so much, but mine have both not been cuddlers and I wish they were so enjoy that part of it.

Heather said...

That's why I hire a professional grocery shopper. Glad you're feeling better Krystal!

Anonymous said...

Didn't anyone fill you in? No matter if you are going for one thing or 100 it ALWAYS takes an hour. I've tested the theory. K...maybe not the one thing but really!!!!;)

Unknown said...

I love the video of Damon dancing! It's so funny to see him jammin out :) Glad to hear you're out of the funk. It's never fun to be in. Seems like I've been in one for the past 8 months, or at least since school started. . .

Unknown said...

This is Emily, not McKane :) I still am not added to your blog and have to sign in with mckane's username every time. If you get to it and read this message, add me: emilylauren@gmail.com