Friday, April 20, 2007

Anatomy

I have what's known as a septated uterus. Sounds bad, doesn't it? Don't worry, it's not a big deal, but it is the reason I have been able to have ultrasounds every 4 weeks through my entire pregnancy. I'm sure you weren't expecting a lesson in female anatomy today, but that's what you're going to get if you keep reading. Here is a picture of a normal uterus. You probably have seen something similar to this in your doctor's office while you're waiting for something fun like a breast exam or a pap smear.
When I was in labor with Damon, my doctor told me that there was something blocking the birth canal that needed to be removed. She called it a septum and at the time my only thought was, "get it out of the way so this baby can come out!" Since then, though, I wondered what it in the world it was and where it came from.
After we lost Chance, I became a high risk candidate and started having lots of ultrasounds when I was pregnant with Allie to make sure there was nothing wrong with my cervix (there wasn't). My doctor also told me that I had a "heart shaped" uterus and that I would probably feel the baby more on one side than the other. Still, I didn't really understood what it meant and it didn't really make much of a difference. With this pregnancy, though, I've finally come to understand exactly what it is that I have and so now you get to learn about it, too. Here is a picture of a septate uterus:
When the two halves of the uterus are fusing (in embryo), they don't always make a perfect triangle, but a septum forms that divides the two halves. In some ladies, the septum extends all the way through, creating two separate uteruses (uteri?), which would be crazy. A lot of ladies with a septate uterus have problems carrying babies full term because there isn't as much space inside. This may have something to do with my water breaking at 20 weeks with Chance, but I don't think so (I have carried two other babies to term without problems and am well on my way with this one). So, with me, the doctor removed my septum at the time Damon was delivered, leaving me with a slightly heart-shaped uterus. They told me at one of my ultrasounds that they wanted to monitor the baby and make sure she wasn't getting too big (I guess I could potentially run out of room). And so, for that, I get to see my baby every four weeks. I think I am the luckiest high risk pregnant woman around, because I get excellent care and, so far, have nothing to worry about. Isn't that great?
And now I am laughing at myself for posting pictures of a uterus (at least it's a drawing, right?)
on my blog and hoping that no one else thinks it's entirely ridiculous. I know it is, but this is for posterity and I think it's important. So, I hope you aren't grossed out by that, but maybe learned something new. :)

4 comments:

Heather B said...

Wow, thank you for explaining that, it makes perfect sense now! I don't think anyone will be grossed out by it. And you are the luckiest ever! I could only wish for ultrasounds every 4 weeks!! (By the way, how early were damon and allie, compared to the due date?)

Denise said...

Very interesting and educational post. I think a little anatomy online is great -- especially compared to the stinky cadaver lab.

Laurie said...

It makes so much sense and I am glad that you are able to get great care. When I was considered high risk with Sienna I got that same great treatment which was nice...the bedrest was not so nice. I know that my neighbor from the student ward has 2 uterus' and she delivered at 33 weeks because of the space issue I believe.

Reba said...

During my last pregnancy the doctor said it looked like I had a heart shaped uterus, too, so I'm really glad you explained what it is and why it happens. And yay for ultrasounds every four weeks. Have you seen the baby sucking its thumb in utero?