Thursday, April 19, 2007

From April 1st

So, Jeff has decided that we’re not getting a dog. At least any time soon. This comes as a bit of a relief to me, because the last time we came close to getting a dog was right before Allie was born. Jeff thought that it might be good for Damon to have something to be excited about so he wouldn’t feel so neglected when the baby came. But as the one who has to stay home and take care of everyone (and everything), I wasn’t thrilled with the timing. And so we decided to wait. Recently, Jeff has been getting the itch again, and we even took a trip to the pound to see what kinds of dogs are in need of a home. But for one reason or another (mostly, to be perfectly honest, it’s because the kind of dog we wanted, a bulldog, is just way too expensive), we’ve never followed through on our intentions. Now, it looks like we won’t be getting one while we’re here in Florida and I can’t say that I have shed any tears about it.

Greg and Noel left town for a vacation and we brought their dog, Vegas, over to our house so she wouldn’t have to be alone. But of course, the day Jeff brought her over, she had a swollen eye that only got worse. Jeff had to take her to the vet and start antibiotics and drops. For over a week we’ve had to jam pills down her throat and hold her still while we rub medicine on her eye. It has been enough to push Jeff over the edge (although I think I went above and beyond by giving Vegas her pill in the morning), and he claims that we’re not getting a dog. Maybe I should be more disappointed, but I’m not. I do think that some day we will have a dog, especially because both of our kids really want one and were so excited to have Vegas here, but I’m glad that, for now, we are going to focus on our babies. And quiet, contained things like fish and lizards.

No comments: