Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pregnancy fact or fiction?

I don't like to use pregnancy as an excuse for too many things. I can't say that my craving for ice cream and cookies is any more intense than it was eight months ago. I'm sure I'm hot more often because it's a lot warmer outside than it used to be. And I don't think it's anything new that I can't stay awake past 10:30 at night.

But there are a couple of things that I think I can, legitimately, blame on pregnancy, and even if I can't, I'm going to anyway.

#1-THE CLUTTERED HOUSE. For anyone who has been pregnant before, you know how uncomfortable it is to bend over, and so I have realized that most of the toys on the floor are going to stay there until someone else can pick them up. I have managed to learn to kick them all into a pile and then direct someone else to put them away, though.

#1a, going along with the bending, THE DIRTY FLOOR. I have also realized that my kitchen floor is not going to be clean (really clean) again until my mom gets here. Besides the fact that it's nearly impossible to use the dustpan (as a sidenote, I would really love to have a dustpan with a long handle, like the worker I saw yesterday at Wal-Mart), mopping upright is not enough to get all the mess off the floor. I try to spot mop as much as I can, but basically I have decided that I am okay with a half-done floor.

#2-THE LAUNDRY ISSUE. It's very difficult to do the laundry. For one thing, hauling a bulky laundry basket full of clothes is not comfortable. Secondly, I have to stand sideways when I'm changing the clothes from the washer to the dryer, which is also not exactly ideal. Finally, when I am putting the clothes away, there's more bending, which not only is uncomfortable, but also gives me heartburn.

#3-THE FORGETFULNESS ISSUE. This one is the one I am finally reluctantly adding to the list: forgetfulness. I've read that it is very common among pregnant women to be more forgetful than normal, but I wasn't sure if I believed it or not. I'm starting to. Last week I completely spaced Damon's parent/teacher conference until 9:00 at night (granted, this is preschool we're talking about, so it may not have been the most pressing thing on my mind). Every time I come home from the grocery store, there is something else I have forgotten to buy (and even put on the list). And today, after Damon had spent a good half hour unloading the dishwasher, I realized that I had forgotten to start it last night when it was full. Now I get to go through all the cupboards and try to remember which dishes are dirty so I can wash them while he's gone (ha! I'm sure you're thinking).

I guess this means I will have to keep my planner by my side at all times to help me stay organized. But then I'm faced with two other problems--that gives Allie access to both my wallet (coin swallowing) and my pen (wall writing). What to do?

What was the question?

1 comment:

Reba said...

Good luck finding the dishes. That is too funny.