Saturday, June 16, 2007

Yellow Star

I have been terrible about reviewing the books I have read lately (I have been reading, but as the list of books I have finished continues to grow, the likelihood of me writing about them decreases dramatically), but I did want to write a little about a book called Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy. I have read a lot of books about the Holocaust (Number the Stars, The Devil's Arithmetic, etc.), but this one is different from any of the others that I have read. It's written all in verse from the point of view of a child who lived in Lodz ghetto in Poland with her family. It's also a true story based on the author's aunt's experiences. It's really a quick read because of the way that it's written and it's an amazing story. Roy captured beautifully what it's like to be a child and the poetry is simple, yet beautiful. Here is one of my favorite parts of the book.

Love

Dora came home from work in a bad mood.
Mother and Papa are tired.
I miss my real doll.
And we are all hungry.
But there is not enough food for dinner.
Mother does not eat her meal.
She gives it to me instead.
She does not say "I love you" in hugs and kisses,
but her love fills up my plate,
and I gobble it up.

Papa says Mother is a noble woman.
He tells me,
"From pain your mother gave you life,
through pain she continues to give."
I think about Papa's words as I finish my broth.
It hurt Mama to give me life? Why?
Didn't I just pop out of her belly button?
I guess I think these words out loud, because
suddenly everyone is looking at me.
Then they all burst into laughter.
Papa, Dora, even Mother.

"Syvia, you are a tonic
for helping us forget our pain,"
says Papa,
and they all smile at me.
Their love fills the air around me,
and I gulp it down.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

Wow, that sounds really awesome, I think I'd like to read it. How cool that it's from a kids perspective.