I don't consider myself a very vain person. I have adopted a very low-maintenance approach to life, especially when it comes to getting myself ready in the morning. I don't spend a lot of time on hair and makeup and am generally satisfied with the way that I look.
But now I am losing my hair.
I remember the first time this happened, when Damon was a few months old. I was laying on the floor and Jeff said, "Are you going bald?" That's not exactly something you want to hear from your husband (or anyone else for that matter), and I dashed into the bathroom to see what he was talking about. Sure enough, when I pulled my hair back by my temples, you could practically see to the scalp. How could I have missed it? All the signs had been there--the increased handfuls coming out when I shampooed, having to pull the elastic tighter when pulling my hair into a ponytail, and an increase in the tiny, fuzzy new hairs growing in all around my face. Somehow, I hadn't realized what was happening and I was shocked to find just how thin my hair had become on the sides of my head.
Mentally I began the process of researching Rogaine for Women, positive I didn't want to live the rest of my life with only a few wisps of hair, resigned to having to put sunscreen on my sensitive scalp. Fortunately for me, before my plans got too involved, I learned that losing hair is very common among women who have recently given birth, and that it would, in fact, grow back. Why didn't anyone warn me about this?, I wondered, a little relieved, but also dreading the next few months until the bald patches were covered.
In time, new hair grew back, and blended in with the rest of the hair on my head. I had nearly forgotten about the trauma of "the splotchy ponytail," as I recall it now. Then Allie was born and the cycle started again. At least the second time around, I was more prepared and dealt with the situation much better. I wasn't nearly as ashamed to wear my hair back, but just explained matter-of-factly that I was temporarily going bald and I was mostly okay with it.
And now here we go again. Yesterday in the shower I pulled strand after strand loose, wondering how long it had been since the last time I had washed my hair. When I realized that it had only been the day before, I feared that my postpartum hair loss had begun again. An examination in the mirror confirmed that it is, indeed, thinning. I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad as it was with Damon (it seemed to be slightly less noticeable with Allie), but I am offering fair warning now that if I post a picture, and you think my hair looks a little thin, smile to yourself and be thankful it isn't you.
9 comments:
Dang-- That IS going to be me in a few months. I guess it might be a tad easier because it won't sneak up on me and surprise me.
So you really think Kalia looks like me? That makes me happy. I don't quite see it yet.
So...being a beutician and all....they have some products that are SUPER good. They taylor it to men and women. It's Niocin. It's a little pricey but it's so good and worth it, even if you aren't balding, it assist it to be thicker and grow better. If you can't find it at a salon...I would be willing to give you my license # and you could get it over the internet. Let me know and I'm all over it! I never lost tons of hair with my babies, but I do now. I hate it!
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about Krystal! I thought I was going to go bald after Lauren was born. It is a good thing I have really thick, thick hair. It just made my hair normal until it all grew back in as thick as ever!
Good luck - hopefully this time won't be as bad!
I hate this too!! Luckily I had a sister warn me about it but still . . . it is the worst to have to clean it up around the house. With my first, it clogged up our vaccume and our shower drain.
Yes. My hair is totally different since having kids. Im nervous for what #3 does with this mop.
I hear ya! It happened to me too both times, although not until about 4-5 months after they were born. My sister Erika is a beautician and I got me some Niocin too. I tried it, but it still took time to get my hair back to normal. I didn't think it was a miracle cure that's for sure. I'm not sure I would pay for it again. Just give it some good 'ol TIME!
I totally feel for you - I go bald every time and then have this re-growth of baby hair about four inches back in each direction on my scalp that sticks straight up for a few months, until it finally relents and turns into an unwanted wall of bangs!
I remember that, and it's happening again to me too and Jaxan is nearly 2.
Oh man--I have been loosing A LOT of hair too. I have really thick hair though, so hopefully it won't be too noticeable. I guess we'll just have to wait and see:)
Post a Comment