Monday, October 22, 2007

"My favorite color is light tan."

You may have seen this going around lately--I've been tagged to share six things about myself that you may (or may not) already know. I love learning new things about all my (blogger) friends, so consider yourself tagged if you are reading this. I'll be checking to see what new tidbits I can learn about you. Oh, and my favorite color is not light tan. Whose is?

1. I like structure and routine. I always assumed it was for my kids that I tried to keep a consistent schedule of eating, naps and bedtime, but I have come to realize that I like it for myself. I like knowing what the day will hold. We usually eat lunch at 12:00, and I find that I will wait until it is actually noon before we sit down to eat, even if we are all hungry and it's 11:45. I make Kyla wait a full three hours before I feed her again. I start to get anxious if it's past 12:30 and Allie isn't in bed... I am learning to be flexible, though, because having kids means giving up a lot of the control I wish I had. I'm just not very good at being spontaneous.



2. I do things because you are supposed to do them, without really even questioning why. And I feel guilty for not doing things I know that I should do (like visiting teaching, which I despise, or not exercising one morning, or spending money on anything..seriously, the list goes on and on). I wish my conscience wasn't so strong--I think I would enjoy life a little more.



3. I am terrible about approaching people about anything. I would be a horrible salesman (just like that 4th of July when my parents had us sell water and pop in wagons at Vernon Worthen Park and I hated every second of it). I get nervous calling people on the phone, even my close friends. I know that is weird, but it's true. I also hate confrontation and would do anything to avoid it, even if that means



4. I get excited walking down the aisles of sporting good stores, office supply stores and libraries. One year for Valentine's Day, Jeff came home from school and told me I had 2 hours to do whatever I wanted and I needed to go buy something for myself. I spent an hour browsing shelves at the library (something we moms never get to do) before running to the mall and buying myself a pair of pants from Aeropostale (one place I know I will be able to find something cute that fits). That was a great day. Maybe my perfect day would be spending an hour (or more) at the library, Staples, and Dick's Sporting Goods.

5. I like cute clothes but don't really care for shopping. It probably goes back to my aversion to spending money. I do like buying clothes for my kids, and have had good success with clearance sales at A Children's Place, Target, GAP, and JC Penney. I loved shopping the thrift stores in Ohio--the ones in Florida just aren't as good--and second-hand stores, and I love looking at my receipt and seeing how many things I got for just $20 or $30. I do buy my kids underwear new. Jeff makes me.

6.I love the sunshine. I'm sure growing up in St. George has a lot to do with that (although, Jeff grew up in Mesa, AZ, and he handled the constant gray skies of Columbus a lot better than I did). And there's nothing like gazing into a blue sky, free of clouds.

There you go. Six things about me. Now go do yours.

2 comments:

Mariah said...

I didn't really realize how much we have in common, but I felt like you were describing me in that post. Except for the sporting goods--I'm not very athletic!! I will have to figure out the six things about me to write about. Good idea though.

Holly Woolsey said...

I love learning new things about everyone too! I love how you love to spend your time in libraries and sporting good stores! I love the smell of books! Going to the library without kids would be a great treat!