Thursday, November 29, 2007

Costly

I'm just curious...does it seem like it is getting outrageously expensive just to live? I keep wondering how I am managing to spend so much money when it doesn't seem like I am buying anything extravagant. Right now:
  • Gas is $3.09 a gallon
  • Milk is $3.99 a gallon
  • A 2 lb chunk of cheese is $7.64 (it hasn't always been that much, has it?)
  • A ticket to the movies is $7.00 (I only know this because my SIL and I saw Enchanted on Thanksgiving--my first movie in the theater in almost a year).

What is it like where you live? And yes, I will go ahead and give the preemptive prize to my sister, Heather, who lives in Hawaii. I know none of us mainlanders can compete with you...

12 comments:

Heather B said...

Ok, yeah, well, milk prices are totally out of control here, but gas is only $3.32 (meaning not too far off) and movie tickets, $8-9 (what a crock. We were going to see Enchanted too but backed out at the last minute...do you recommend it?)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Things are about the same here. Gas was $3.09 at Costco and milk I'm not sure because I buy organic. Movies I think are still just six here. Haven't been in a while though.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is AMEN!!!! I sound like my Grandpa! :)

Denise said...

Gas and food are more expensive than what we found in Ohio a year ago. I think we're at 3.20 for gas. Movies are so far out of our price range we can't even go but at costco you can get 2 ticket vouchers for $15 and that is as good as it gets! We get cheese at costco - 2 lbs for under $6. It is really good cheese too.

I miss Aldi for canned goods and a few other super cheap items.

lisa h. said...

whoa, i don't think our milk is that much...i'll have to check for sure! i'm so used to grabbing a few gallons i don't even know the price!

brit said...

Tell me about it. Don't even get me started on produce either. Right now avocados are 2 for $5. Uh, HELLO? Who can afford to eat healthy at those prices? I know things are out of season, but sheesh! I can't stand shopping. We are eating fresh these days so we go to the store every 3-4 days and still spend between $50 and $100 that that doesn't include toiletries and stuff.

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

good thing for wic!!! um we saw enchanted to on thanksgiving....i liked it, cheesy...but good!!

Jessica Law said...

I live a couple miles from you and it's bad over here too.

Reba said...

I just paid 2.79 for milk. At Aldi.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I thought Iowa was way overpriced but after reading what everyone else is paying we aren't so bad I guess. Milk is around $3.50 a gallon and I paid $2.92 for gas last week. Movie tickets are $8 here but we took Lauren to a matine and that was only $5 a ticket. And I buy my cheese already shredded at Walmart for around $1.88 for 2 cups or 3 bags of shredded cheese for $5 when it is on sale!

J* said...

I second the "I miss Aldi's" and for us there's a Rite Aide next door to our grocery store. It consistently has milk 2.7o-ish so it's not out of the way to make an extra stop. Still, a year ago milk was on sale for 1.88, wasn't it? Boy, I do sound like a grandma. Just be glad you don't have to worry about oil heat like we do in the North West...yeah. I have 300 gallons of oil in my basement. Not so happy about it, but it's how our house is heated. Anyway, good food-for-thought post, Krystal.

Patti said...

I third "I miss Aldi's" and add an "I miss Macey's".