For any of you who went to BYU, remember the Soapbox? Did anyone ever get up and say anything? Fun memories. Anyway, as I’m taking Damon to preschool today, I see something that reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves and it is going to be my topic for today. I don’t understand what makes it okay for people to toss cigarette butts anywhere they please, as though somehow that’s not littering. Am I the only mom who has had to pull an old cigarette butt from their child’s mouth at a playground? I highly doubt it. Almost anywhere you go you can find cigarette butts tossed on the ground and I really can’t stand it. How many times have you seen someone toss a butt out their car window right into the path of your car, and been grateful that you didn’t instanty ignite (is that just me?). In my opinion, there should be some more imposing fines placed on these types of litter-bugs because not only are they poisoning our air, they are also poisoning our ground. And I will now step off my soapbox.
A word about potty-training: I am not ready to start potty-training Allie. I don’t even want to think about it. It was so nice with Damon to pretty much have the whole thing done in one day (we waited until after he turned 3 to even try) and I was hoping for a similar experience with Allie. Well, she has been really showing interest in using the toilet and I have let her sit on it, fully clothed, whenever she wants. I’ll even let her get a tissue and pretend to wipe. But now she’s been asking to take her clothes off and sit on the toilet and this has made me very nervous. I am not going to be a half-hearted potty training mama and go back and forth from diapers to underwear again and again. But last night, Allie peed on the toilet against my better judgment. She had just gotten out of the bath and was standing in the family room “nakedeenis.” She was looking at some books and I was getitng ready to haul my huge body off the couch and get her ready for bed when I saw her start to bend her legs in an unnatural position and instantly a warning bell went off in my head telling me she was about to (or already had) pee on the floor. I asked her if she needed to go potty and, of course, off she went running into the bathroom. She climbed up on the toilet, sat there for a few minutes, and to my amazement, peed in the toilet. I didn’t want to make a big deal about it, but when Damon found out, he acted like it was the greatest thing in the world. Now, luckily for me, she hasn’t asked to do it again and I am definitely not going to encourage her at all, but I thought it was something that I needed to write about so I can read it to her someday.
Oh, and p.s. I was completely wrong about Chris last night. He wasn’t even in the bottom three. I can’t say I’m sad about Sanjaya leaving, though. We’ll know tomorrow who votefortheworst.com is targeting next. Maybe Phil?
1 comment:
Yay for Allie! If she's showing interest, why not try? A couple in our ward (half turkish, half chinese) potty trained their little boy at 18 months, successfully. Guess how they did it? (I was kind of shocked, but I think I'd be willing to try, due to the results.) They let him run around naked for a day or two, and when he peed on the floor they pointed at it, said NO! And took him to the potty, etc. (Basically what happened with Allie, except you got her to the toilet!) Yes, they had to clean up their carpet a time or two, but it worked! This kid can't even say more than 15 words! So, think of all the diaper changes it could save you, I don't know, give it a try!! Long comment!
Post a Comment