I love about 75% of having a 5-year old.
Damon understands so much more than he used to and can carry his end of conversations quite nicely. I love watching Trading Spaces with him and watching him get so excited about the room transformations. He is also so willing to believe everything we are teaching him. One night he was cutting out coupons and couldn't find one he was looking for. I kept encouraging him to keep looking for it, when he appeared by my side, a look of total consternation on his face. He tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, so that his grandpa and uncle in the room wouldn't hear, "I prayed, and I still can't find it." My heart was pricked; his faith in the power of prayer is so absolute, he didn't understand how he could possibly not have been answered.
I won't go into the 25% of things I don't love about having a 5-year old, but if you have been reading with me, you probably can figure most of that out on your own.
I love about 50% of having a 2-year old.
Allie is so different from Damon, and I love to see her growing in such a different way. She is extremely independent and wants to do everything for herself. One day I needed to run into the store to get some milk and asked her to please stay right with me and not run away, because I can't carry Kyla, two gallons of milk, and her, too. Without any hint of regret, she said, "I run away." I was a little shocked at her honesty, but wasn't laughing five minutes later as I chased her down the aisles of CVS, milk and baby in hand.
But I love to watch her imagination at work. She actually tried to pass off giving Damon a pretend jelly bean, while keeping the real ones in her other hand. I found her on the floor one day, with her doll, Bexley, the boppy, and a book, and had to wonder how many times she has seen me in a similar position with Kyla. I love her curiosity, her ability to process things I wouldn't think she is able to, and her constant vocal serenading. I also love that she asks to watch "Nephi and the Grass Plates."
I won't go into the 50% of things I don't love about having a 2-year old, but anyone who has had a child in that stage can probably guess the things I don't love.
I love 90% of having a baby.
This is in response to Emily's question, "how is your baby?" I LOVE having a baby. I had forgotten how much I enjoy almost everything about having a baby. I am actually a bit surprised to find myself saying this, but it's absolutely true. Kyla is the easiest of the three kids, even with all she demands from me, because I hardly ever feel frustrated with her. I am fifty times more patient with her than I am with my other kids (maybe that's sad, but it's true). I just can't get enough of her chubby little body, and find myself pinching her rolls when I change her diaper.
I love the way she still flails her body when she's scared. I love how she smiles at the ceiling fan, prompting me to conjecture that she must be conversing with angels. I love how she grabs on to her clothes and flips up her dresses. In the mornings, I love to unwrap her from her blanket coccoon and watch her purse her lips and stretch. I love to catch her watching me when I'm not aware of it, instantly flashing me one of her huge open-mouth smiles. I love holding her when she's falling asleep, as she lays her head on my shoulder and sighs. I love to hear her cooing to the other kids, as though she's desperately trying to tell them something important. I love giving her a bath and watching her splash with delight...
I could go on and on and on, I love my baby so. The 10% of things I don't love about having a baby don't even begin to compare to the 90% of things I love so much, and look forward to more than anything else in my life right now. To answer your question, Emily, my baby is amazing, sweet and perfect; just like my other two were. And hopefully, if you are reading this and have the pleasure of having a baby in the other room (or in your arms right now), just like yours is, too.
14 comments:
What a cute post! I think all 3 of your kids are 100% adorable! And I cant get over how much Allie is starting to look like Jeff!
That was one of your best posts ever. I totally got teary. I can't wait to have my own...and to see your three at Christmas!!!!
That was very well said. What a nice post. Thanks for sharing.
I am really crying right now. That was SO sweet! I love having a baby too- it is the best thing in the whole world! Before I had him everyone told me "how much life would change" and "how little sleep I would get" but I never heard how amazing it was. Maybe I heard, and just didn't understand.
I started graduate school yesterday and I have been away from beckam for 8 hours, two days in a row. This week is orientation week so it's super intense. I'm doing a part time program so when school actually starts it won't be so bad. You definately made me question whether I want to go or not though. . .
I'll let you know what I decide :) Loved your pictures!
That post was actually from me, not McKane :) ha ha- he'd be so mad if he knew I posted 'I am crying right now', under his username.
Anyway, for some reason I can't log on to your blog with my username but I can under his. Weird. . .
oops- I meant 'emily' not 'me'- sorry bout that. ha ha. I plan on posting 7 more times under this post.
I think I need a baby! Between you and Heather, I am dying!
I couldn't have read anything more perfect right now. We are going to start trying for baby #3 and I have been a little nervous about it but after reading your entry, I can't even wait. Thanks.
cute blog! Your kids are adorable. By the way...you look fabulous! Keep up the good work.
what a wonderfully written post!
In answer to your question, this is where I found out how to do the banner. It is a little confusing. I have tried a ton of different ways and this time it worked out really nice. email me your phone number if you can't figure it out and I will try to help you. So first look here: http://afmwords.blogspot.com/search/label/101
then if you can't figure it out email me at bglawilliams@hotmail.com and I will call you back and we can look at it together.
I am so glad you found our blog cuz now we can read yours! Your kids are so dang cute! It has been way to long since we have seen you guys. Can't wait to see more fun pict. of your family and to hear what fun you are up to!
Tricia
You are making me cry today. I need to only read one of your posts a day. Thank you for sharing your sweet thoughts.. I miss that baby stage (am, however, enjoying the big boy stage) and can't wait to have the 2 and 5 year olds in addition to a baby.
Love you guys!
To McKane/Emily--
I saw that you had written that McKane was "really crying"-- that brought a little smile to my face... You don't know me, I am Greg's wife. McKane was Greg's roomy in college while he and I were dating... Tell him I say hello and congrats on the babe!
Post a Comment