We decided the other night that my blog is going to serve as our family's journal, which is good because it means that all the time I spend writing on it actually serves a purpose. Because of that, though, I thought it was important to keep a record of our family goals and how we are doing. We had a family meeting on Sunday to review where we're at a little more than halfway through the year. It turns out we're not doing so well. Our family goals are:
1. Read scriptures together Sunday-Thursday. Since Kyla was born, we have been really bad at that, and so we committed to do better. If we read 5 days a week, we will reward ourselves with a family treat on Sunday.
2. Attend the temple 4 times this year. With the temple in Orlando 2 1/2 hours away, we are farther from a temple than we ever have been. Add that to the fact that we have three kids (one of them being a very recent addition), and you will understand that we haven't been since March. I went in February when I was down there for Time Out For Women, so I am halfway there. We are planning a trip for next week, when Jeff has a few days off before he starts his second (and last!) year of school, so we are a bit closer to acheiving that goal.
3. Write together in a journal on Sunday's. We actually have never done this. Jeff said it wouldn't count for our ward's goal and since the kids are too young to write for themselves, we just haven't ever done it. Instead, we decided that my blog would serve as our family journal, so I guess we have met this goal, only a modified version of it.
I also have set some personal goals, some of which are going better than others.
1. Exercise at least 4 times a week. I'm not perfect yet, but I am consistently working out at least 3 times a week. My friend, Mariah, and I have been walking some mornings and when we don't walk I try to do a workout on tv (with weights, sit-ups and push-ups). I know I still have a few pounds (and more importantly, inches) to go before I feel like my pre-pregnancy self, and the idea is that I will be able to do it by October 11 when Jeff and I leave for our cruise. And then I will reward myself with a new swuimsuit.
2. Read scriptures personally Monday-Friday. With the end of the school year and the birth of Kyla, my scripture reading routine was shot to pieces. I am still trying to figure out what will work best for me. I'd say I'm about 50%, but working to get better. I think the reward for this one is having the Spirit with me more, which will help me with everything.
3. Read at least one book a month. I would definitely say this is the goal I am doing the best at, as I have really benefitted from turning the tv off and reading more. Of course, having bookclub books to read have really helped, but still, this is going well. And my reward is getting to go to bookclub every month and get a night out away from the kiddos!
4. Don't get angry. Well, at least don't show anger, but trying to stay calm and patient with my kids. This was the goal I set for myself at our family meeting for this week (and forever, really). I asked Damon to remind me and I am really making an effort. Again, nowhere near perfect, but I'm doing much better. The reward for this is a happier family.
Damon's goal for the week: Be brave. He actually seems to be doing a little better.
Jeff's goal for the week: Have us read scriptures every day (he must have a treat in mind for Sunday!)
Allie's goal for the week: Obey mom and dad. She is the one who is struggling the most with her goal, but what else would we expect? We'll keep reminding her.
Okay, boring for those of you reading, I know, but I thought I needed to keep track of where we are and where we are going. Hope all your goals are going better than ours!
3 comments:
Those are great goals! I'm with ya on not being as far along on my goals as I'd like to be! I can't believe it's already August 1st!
Not boring! Great! First of all, WHAT CRUISE?? LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY! I need details.
Second, good job working out. I won't have the fitness channel, any other recommendations?
Third, there is this one part in "As A Man Thinketh" that I will have to e-mail you (or blog about)- it's really powerful, and it's about staying calm and controlling yourself, basically, serenity. (Let me know if you have the book.) I am thinking about memorizing the paragraph and reciting it when I feel like i'm about to blow up. :) And I don't even have kids yet, haha.
i love reading these...and i need to work on all of them as well. it's kinda nice to just put it out there and feel a little more accountable than just thinking about your goals.
Post a Comment