So, has anyone been watching "Power of Ten" on tv? This is the time of year that Jeff calls "the duldrums," after the NBA finals and before college football starts (our lives revolve sports way too much), and between the end of our summer shows and the beginning of the new fall lineup (our lives revolve around TV way too much). We have been enjoying"Don't Forget the Lyrics," and "The Singing Bee," and I think it would be so much fun to play a variation of either with a group of people ("Don't Forget the Hymn" on a Sunday even), and I'm waiting for someone to plan, and host, the activity for me (any takers?). In the meantime, we have been passing the time trying to figure out what Americans (U.S. Americans, even) think about a variety of topics.
If you haven't seen the show, basically contestants try to guess what percentage of Americans polled answered a question a certain way. For example, "what percentage of people polled said that their parents explained the birds and the bees to them when they were kids?" (42%), or "What percentage of Americans say they floss their teeth every day?" (45%). They have to guess within a 40 point range on the first question, a 30 point range on the second question and so on until they either get a question wrong or walk away with the money they have. Kind of fun.
A couple of the questions last night on the show had me thinking. "What percentage of Americans think people are born gay?" (51%). "What percentage of American men would leave their partner is she gained 100 pounds?" (29%). But the one I have been thinking about the most was "What percentage of Americans think it is harder to be a stay-at-home parent than a working parent?"
How many of us have had a conversation like this with your husbands:
Husband: "Today was a long day. I'm so glad it's over. I just want to sit down and relax. "
Wife: "Today was a long day for me, too, and I would also love to sit down and relax."
{Maybe this next part goes unsaid, or maybe it is acutally verbalized}
"Unfortunately, dinner isn't going to finish making itself. And after we eat, all those dishes aren't going to magically disappear. And then the kids need to be bathed, changed and put to bed. Then the baby is going to need to be nursed and played with for a while before she's ready for bed. Oh, and the house is a disaster, despite the hundred thousand times I have straightened up, and it would be nice to go to bed with a clean house. So, even though I would love to sit down and relax, my job isn't done."
*I realize that I am not giving any credit to the husband for the role that he will, inevitably, play in the rest of the evening, but by and large, it is the mom who does most of those things, day in and day out.*
In my opinion, everyone should agree that it's harder to be a stay-at-home parent than a working parent. It is. It's a lot more fun, but it's a lot harder. There is no escape, and there is very little relaxing on the job. I love being a mom and I can't imagine anything being more rewarding than staying home with my kids every day and experiencing life with them. But just because it's rewarding doesn't mean it's easy. There are days that I envy Jeff as he walks out of the house, able to trade in the whining and complaining for actual adult conversation. There are times that I feel that if I have to put clothes on a naked Allie one more time I might actually lose my mind. There are moments when my head aches, yet still one (or more!) of the kids won't stop crying and I feel like crying myself.
But those moments pass, and are replaced by things that I would never want to miss: Damon's face lighting up when he tells me he gets to have a trophy on his desk for being student of the month; Allie talking incoherently, in what I can only assume is her "voice of authority," explaining who's in charge; and Kyla discovering her hands as if they are the most amazing moving objects she's ever seen. Being a stay-at-home parent is the best. But it DEFINITELY is the hardest. That's why I was more than a little surprised to find that the number of Americans who agreed with me was only 43%. A little low, don't you think?
So, here's to all the moms who have had a long day today. You're doing an amazing job, and the hardest, most important, work you could possibly be doing. Let's band together and figure out a way to pawn off some (or all) of our responsibilities for one night. Maybe not tonight, but some night soon. I know I could use it. And now if you'll excuse me, I hear one of my many responsibilities crying and my brief moment of "me time" is over.
9 comments:
Very good points! I agree with you! And I loved the comment about US Americans! not just Americans... US Americans. Poor Junior Miss South Carolina!
Very well put! I agree with you. Being a stay-at-home mom is DEFINITELY the hardest job ever!
I am just learning how much harder being a stay-at-home mom is than being a working mom. I'm sure it will only get harder! But it is definitely worth it.
Why do you think I went back to work? It is WAY harder to stay home!
Oh thank you! I want to send this to my husband...who is sitting in his ergo chair and thinking his own thoughts and going to the bathroom alone. :) And I only have one!
Christmas time when we are all together we will play!! that should be the most fun.....we will give mom a funny song so we can add it in our family play!
I TOTALLY agree with you. I worked last year...I was able to take Zoie with me but work non the less. Having real live people to talk and care about not pissing me off or I could say "hey, will you pickup after yourself" AND THEY DO IT! Very nice. I feel like it's hardest because it's the most worth. I'm also not surprised at the %. I see the world and when I say world I mean Satan....twisting things more and more. My kids are getting a little older and it's the time I'd be just getting off work that they are asking things like "does satan make me bad?" and having the chance to tell him about the war in heaven and that satan tempts not makes us do bad things...we always have a choice. One of the most spiritual and amazing conversations I've had to date. (yea...satan was REALLY mad that day! I felt it!) The things that are eternal the world (satan) has turned into hard and weak. I firmly believe that if more of us stayed home...the men would step up, quit leaving or being dead beat and we'd all have someone to chat with during the day when if I had to seriously change one more crappy diapers! :) (which by the way is where my email comes from!) And that's my take on it! :)
I finally figured out how to get to your blog and change mine on my crazy computer! Come check mine out and let's chat. The more the merrier...right?! your kids are darling! I remember when mine were that little...and they were closer in age! Yikes is right! :)
loved reading this post. it is nice to know that others feel overwhelmed at times too, but I agree, I would never change my job for the world.
Post a Comment