Monday, August 20, 2007

Today

Today was just like I expected it would be. Today was nothing like I expected it would be. Today was Damon's first day of all day kindergarten. Here he is just before we left for school. Is he trying to show off his bicep? I'm sure he learned that from my brother, Jonny.







As you can tell from the fake smile, he wasn't a hundred percent sure he was going to like it. Allie, on the other hand, looks delighted.





When I dropped him off, he was very nervous, but didn't complain too much. And when I picked him up, he said he had fun, but admitted that he cried a little when his teacher left the cafeteria to go eat lunch. None of this surprised me in the least, but was exactly how I expected this day to be. I was ready to feel a little sad, and a little overwhelmed, by the prospect of sending my sweet son to a school full of kids I have never met to begin his education. I was ready for the lump in my throat when he waved good-bye, his face saying that he knew he had to stay, but really didn't want to. I was prepared for all of that. Today was exactly like I thought it would be.



Today was nothing like I thought it would be. I had laundry baskets full of dirty clothes ready to be washed. Allie was in her "potty training dress (see above)," ready for her first full day of potty training. I had finished my workout and had taken a shower. And then Allie swallowed the plastic cap to the bottle of detangler. She loves to use it as a little cup, filling it with water time and again. I saw her putting it in her mouth and then it was gone. She described it as, "the lid poked my mouth." Crap, I thought, wondering if she could've possibly gotten the plastic cap down her throat without any problems. The coughing and her slight discomfort led me to believe that it hadn't cleared all the way into her stomach. After a few phone calls, I realized that I needed to take her into the ER to make sure it wasn't lodged somewhere that was going to cause problems later. And so we spent the next few hours with Dr. Tyson and her incredibly nice nurses at the hospital. Fortunately, there were no signs of any obstruction in her airway, and it was determined that she will pass it (perhaps painfully) in the next 24 hours.


Today was nothing like I thought it would be. I am way behind on the laundry, I'm not going to cook dinner, and Allie had to go back in a diaper for a good part of the day. BUT...everyone is fine (you can't really tell in the pic, but Allie put mascara on herself AGAIN while I was on the phone with the doctor's office, and even managed to get some on Kyla's eyelid, too. In fact, the doctor's parting words as we left the hospital were, "Bye Allie. Your makeup looks nice."). I knew we would end up in the ER sooner or later with Allie, and I hope the law of averages is satisified with today and we won't have to go back any time soon.


There were other things I wanted to do today (another post I had planned to write, as well). But I guess there's always tomorrow.



9 comments:

Heather B said...

Yay Damon! Way to go buddy! Glad Allie's okay. I love her cute shorts.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

What a day! You deserve a much easier day tomorrow. I can't believe how big Damon looks in his first day of school pict.! And we are glad Allie is OK after her visit to the ER!

lisa h. said...

this makes me want to keep evan 2 more years! the plan is to send him to kindergarten next year....

i'm glad you're just starting potty training, i haven't really started with Calder yet and they are pretty close in age!

Lisha said...

Allie just cracks me up! She reminds me of Kason, always causing me stress! Glad she is okay. Damon is a cutie! I am not looking forward to that first day of Kindergarten. Although, it may be a monumental day if we ever make it!:)

Anonymous said...

BIG BOY, Damon! I can't believe it!

I love the Drs parting words! Thats is awesome! I am glad you survived the day. You are a trooper! Allie is only going to make you stronger. Kyla will be an easy addition.. I can tell already.

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

when i told wayne about allie, he said i am not looking forward to when our boys do stuff like that!! we have been to the E.R twice in 3 months with Malakai. Allie is silly, and that is cute about damon saying i cried a little bit. This will help him a lot with his confidence i think.

J* said...

Damon is so adorable. Do I say that every time I comment? Sigh. He looks so big and ready to take on the world, errr, I mean kindergarten.

I am Laura said...

So I cried thinking about sending my oldest to kindergarten while reading your post. Then I thought oh her Allie is just like my Ally. We have been to the ER 3 times in her young life. Maybe school will be good for her. Sorry your day wasn't good, my laundry always takes me about 3 days to do.

Cassie L. said...

Only all of that would happen on a Monday!