Tuesday, July 24, 2007

One Arm Wonder

I learned when Allie was a baby that I could find a way to do most things in life with only one arm. Allie loved to be held (and didn't love much else) and I had to find ways to adapt. So far, Kyla has not been as high maintenance as Allie was, but she has her moments, and I have been reminded that while some things are manageable if you only have one arm free, other things are extremely difficult. For example:

Manageable: Eating a peach.
Difficult: Opening a can of peaches.

Manageable: Brushing my teeth.
Difficult: Flossing my teeth.

Manageable: Doing sit-ups.
Difficult: Doing push-ups.

Manageable: Putting bread into the toaster.
Difficult: Buttering a slice of toast.

Manageable: Going to the bathroom.
Difficult: Pulling my pants back up.

Manageable: Checking other people's blogs.
Difficult: Writing on my own blog.

I am, however, still trying to find ways to keep posting, even though I may be typing with only one hand (right now Kyla is enjoying the memory foam on my bed, so gratefully, I have two hands for this job).

I was tempted to photoshop an extra set of arms on a picture of my body (yes, I just used "photoshop" as a verb) and send it to Santa labeled "My Wish List." I don't necessarily want to be an octopus, but I sure wouldn't mind having four arms. Go Go Gadget Arms!

2 comments:

jaesi said...

Yes yes I can relate. Silly babies... we need our arms too! I here ya on the going to the bathroom one!

J* said...

What a funny observation about one armed talents!