Here is a little quiz for my devoted readers. Which of the following did NOT happen in the past 24 hours?
1. Allie switched the library's Music and Lyrics dvd for Ammon, Missionary to the Lamanites and I returned it to the library.
2. On our weekly trip to the beach I got stung by a jellyfish.
3. Kyla slept from 10:30 pm to 7:45 am, giving her mommy quite a scare (not to mention a very full chest).
Okay, I guess that was a trick question, because all of those things happened. Allie has been really interested in taking cds and dvds out of their cases and "putting them away," although we have found that that usually means she puts them into different cases. Today, she started again with the Book of Mormon dvds and I saw that she had replaced Ammon with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. Either she really wanted to keep Music and Lyrics or she was trying to do a little missionary work by getting Ammon into the library system (which seems to have worked, by the way, because when I called to inform a librarian, she told me that no one had caught it, and the movie had been checked back in). Either way, I'm sure my mom would rather have the animated Book of Mormon story when I return them to her.
I did get stung by a jellyfish yesterday and it was extremely painful. How ironic is it that I, who have spent far less time in the ocean this summer than the rest of my family, was the one the jellyfish targeted. Damon, Allie and I were really enjoying the mild temperature of the water and the tiny waves of the ocean when all of a sudden I felt a burning sensation on my leg, just below the knee. I let out a scream, completely freaking Damon out, and dropped Allie's hand, swatting desperately at what I instantly knew was a very unfriendly jellyfish. Fortunately, Allie was wearing floaties and didn't disappear instantly under a wave. I hobbled back to the beach where Jeff was keeping an eye on Kyla and iced my wound for several minutes. Every time I took the ice off, though, the stinging would return and the pain started shooting up my leg. Three distinct sting marks appeared and turned purple and the whole thing swelled up before I found the closest lifeguard and asked if he had anything for it. He sprayed it with some alcohol/vinegar mixture and also a burn spray and it started feeling a lot better. At least I thought I might be able to make it home. To make a long story short, the pain gradually subsided and today just feels like a mild sunburn, but it was something I hope I don't have to live through again. It's enough to make me stay in the shallows, where I can see what's down there. I tried to take a picture of my injury, but it just didn't do it justice.
Kyla did sleep for over nine hours last night, and when I woke up at 7:00 to check on her, my heart started thumping as I hoped I would find her still breathing. She was. Maybe all that crying she did at the beach yesterday really wore her out, because she has been really sleepy today, too. I'm not expecting her to do that every night (she's been pretty consistent to sleep six hours at a time), but once I realized that she hadn't died, I was thrilled with her big accomplishment.
What a day! Can't wait to see what the next 24 hours hold.
1 comment:
Ouch on the jellyfish!! Samuel says he's sorry too (he knows better than I do how much they hurt). Did you and Jeff discuss the peeing-on-it option? I've heard it may-or-may not work.
Anyway, good job Allie on the missionary work! (That's funny. Glad she didn't float away in the waves.) And good job to Kyla too, looks like she not only got my eyes but also my sleeping habits.
Post a Comment